Glossy Ibis, Hauraki

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
RussCannings

Re: Glossy Ibis, Hauraki

Postby RussCannings » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:13 pm

Quick stop today (Sat) at high tide produced the 7 whimbrel and other usuals but no curlew or ibis.
Brent Stephenson

Postby Brent Stephenson » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:45 pm

Stopped in yesterday (17 Feb) and today whilst on our 21-day tour. Yesterday was well after the high tide and lots of pied stilt, a couple of wrybill, and two sharp-tailed sandpipers. No cattle egret, ibis, whimbrel, or curlew. Today however was more around high tide, and seven cattle egret, some in breeding plumage, with two birds seen holding sticks in their bills for more than a few minutes, the one walking around on the frame structure as if looking for somewhere to start building a nest! Also three Far Eastern curlew present, a few barwits, and several PGP.

Cheers,
Brent Stephenson
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ - Great birds, real birders
phil hammond

Postby phil hammond » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:19 pm

A Hudsonian Godwit flew into this site today at 8.10 am. It and all the other waders present left between 9.30 and 10 when the big tide began to rush in and change the place from a wader site to a big duck pond.

No Ibis, Whimbrell or FE Curlews this morning.

4 Cattle Egrets were roosting along with about 15 Black Shags in the top of the big Macrocarpa near the first gate on the cycle track. By 9 they were gone and I didn't see where they went
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:30 pm

This avo the highlights were:
2x Black-tailed Godwit (1 in breeding plumage)
8x Whimbrel
3x Curlew
105x Golden Plover (my highest for the site)

Russ, Lisa, Bette, and Alex Cannings
Liam Ballard

Postby Liam Ballard » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:36 am

I didn't spot any whimbrel, curlew or much else interesting, but the ibis is alive and well! I initially scoped out the flooded paddock and there was no ibis or cattle egrets, but after I went for a walk to try and track it down and came back, the egrets were perched on the metal arch and the ibis was nearby! Seems like they are really hanging out together! Got some pretty fuzzy record shots too.
ibis.JPG
Glossy Ibis at last!
ibis.JPG (473.38 KiB) Viewed 1800 times
Liam Ballard
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:44 pm

This is my own personal feeling, but I am giving the Piako Flood Plain a miss until the work has been completed. 10 days ago, despite giving early and clear room for the transport, the driver "expressed a worry for our safety". At this point we left as we did not want to risk a total ban on the track, thus ruining it for everyone, after all, the sign does say, "No Unauthorised Access".

Cheers, Grahame

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”