MEGA - seabirds north of Three Kings, NZ waters

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Brent Stephenson

MEGA - seabirds north of Three Kings, NZ waters

Postby Brent Stephenson » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:26 am

Hi all,

Quick message from Sav who is currently on the Heritage Expeditions WPO that left Tauranga a few days ago. On Sunday 17 Mar he wrote...

Today, in NZ waters North of Three Kings; Collared Petrel, Magnificent Petrel, Fiji Petrel!! Plus Goulds, White-naped, Kermadec, etc

The Fiji was distant and seen for about 30 sec, a small all-dark long-winged petrel seen next to a wedge-tailed shearwater, and clearly not a Bulwer's petrel (edited). Seen for around 30 sec.

That looks like a pretty decent haul of seabirds to me. First record of magnificent for NZ I guess, and for the Fiji...

Cheers,
Brent Stephenson
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ - Great birds, real birders
RussCannings

Re: MEGA - seabirds north of Three Kings, NZ waters

Postby RussCannings » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:28 am

And first Collared Petrel (if accepted) too no? I don't think any of the Norfolk birds were ever submitted to the NZ committee?
phil hammond

Postby phil hammond » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:53 am

Hi Russ a Collared Petrel was seen on the 2011 Three Kings pelagic. Sav's trip report is on the Wrybill Tours website
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:47 am

Thanks Phil,for some reason I recall not finding it on the NZ List last time I checked.

Hope you guys got photos of the Fiji! ;)
Colin Miskelly

Postby Colin Miskelly » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:00 pm

Hi Russ

You are correct that the Records Appraisal Committee has never received a submission for collared petrel, and so it is not recognised as occurring in New Zealand.

Regards
Colin (RAC convenor)
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:00 pm

And I assume Brent that he meant "Bulwer's" as opposed to "Buller's"?
Brent Stephenson

Postby Brent Stephenson » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:12 am

Hey Russ,

Yeah - I need to submit the record for the collared petrel..this might just be the impetus! And yes - it was a Bulwer's, have edited. Funnily enough on my computer I have used Buller's enough that it autocorrected Bulwer's to Buller's!

It sounds like there may not be enough to clinch the Fiji petrel as a first record, but we will see what they get together as a report if they do. I am not sure if there were any images taken.

Cheers,
Brent Stephenson
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ - Great birds, real birders

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”