Canterbury Big Year

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
andrewcrossland

Re: Canterbury Big Year

Postby andrewcrossland » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:44 pm

Hi folks, hot tip - the White-winged Black Terns are back at Bromley Oxidation Ponds - easily seen from the west side of Dyers Road in the middle pond (pond 2a), with B/F Terns.
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:52 am

Haa haa! Thats what I was looking for on Saturday! Didn't even see a tern of any description! Talk about rubbing salt in :lol: :lol: Awesome to know they are there now though AC, thanks for the tip off again! I did shoot down this morning and found 3 BFTs hawking the middle pond but no WWBTs. Oh well nice to have them still on my hot list. To be honest it was stunning this morning and I was pretty happy just watching these 3 hawking midges for half an hour. Something very Zen about watching terns. If only I didn't have to rush off to the rat race.

Also shot down to the Ashley rivermouth with Jack on Sunday. It felt like the whole place was under siege from Black Backed Gulls. Not just hundreds of adults but hundreds of immatures as well. looks like they've had a VERY successful breeding season. Sure its probably just time of year and a collective wintering spot but did have me a little concerned re their numbers.
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:02 pm

Hi guys, a few hot tips.

1. I swung by the Bromley Oxidation Ponds yesterday and noted 1 of the White-winged Black Terns hawking over pond 2a near the road, along with a B/F Tern. As it was low tide, I assume the other WW Blacks and Black-fronteds were perhaps over the estuary mudflats and channels.

2. Kenny Rose (CCC Travis Wetland Wildlife ranger) spotted a Spotless Crake today at Clare Park Basin wetlands at 2:00PM today. It was on the edge of a swampy pool and darted into Carex sedges when disturbed. I was close by so arrived on scene about 10 mins later. I didn't see the bird, but its continued presence, hiding in the Carex was confirmed when I played back from taped calls from the xeno-canto website on my phone and got several vocal responses.

For those not familiar with Clare Park Basin its the recently constructed wetland on the north side of QEII Drive near the junction with Burwood Rd. Map (with spot where the bird was seen) and pic of the habitat (with the Carex the bird went onto) shown below:

Spotless Crake2.JPG
Spotless Crake2.JPG (95.42 KiB) Viewed 2933 times

Spotless Crake1.JPG
Spotless Crake1.JPG (99.1 KiB) Viewed 2933 times

3. I did my monthly survey at the Ashburton Rivermouth today and spotted the first Stewart Island Shag of the season - a juv bronze phase amongst the 7660 Spotted Shags roosting on the gravel spit. The lagoon was closed to the sea and backed up but the heavy rain in the hills is likey to flood the river and reopen the mouth tonight....

SI Shag2.JPG
SI Shag2.JPG (27.3 KiB) Viewed 2933 times
GrahameNZ

Postby GrahameNZ » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:57 pm

Hi folks,
A White Heron has turned up on the east side.
Originally I saw it beside the bridge at the corner of New Brighton Rd and Anzac Drv.
An hr and a half later it flew into Travis.
Lots of nice wetland over the east side folks.
Time for a hunt for those that want one for a tick.
Also 60 appx Spoonies at Bexley high tide roost today.
Add them to the WWBT and 5 Mute Swans at the Oxy ponds the Spottless at Clare and Cape Barren at Travis
Plenty of reasons to come over and have a look around.

White-Heron_GNZ20190329-0059.jpg
White-Heron_GNZ20190329-0059.jpg (203.75 KiB) Viewed 2884 times
White-Heron_GNZ20190329-0004.jpg
White-Heron_GNZ20190329-0004.jpg (115.33 KiB) Viewed 2884 times
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:21 pm

Cape Barren Goose still present at Travis today. Had to work for it though. Eventually located from the Tower sneaking in and out of tussocks with the sheep.
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:39 pm

Its all been a bit quite lately with the Canterbury big year, but I hear rumour of a Glossy Ibis seen recently at Ashworths Lagoons (between the Ashley Estuary and Leithfield Beach), and up to 3 White-winged Black Terns are still present daily at the Bromley Oxidation Ponds, as well as the family group of Mute Swans.
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:41 am

Noticed that one on ebird last night. Anybody been to have a look for the Spotless Crake or had success? Be nice to have a reasonably solid spot for one here in Canterbury.

Amazing how the terns can vanish from the poo ponds (poopondia)... sorry thats what Jack and I have been calling it lately :D Last 3 times past there hasn't been a tern in sight. Glad to have had Jack with me when we had great views by the road the other week. Never seen them over the estuary either. Do they move to the back pond (on estuary boundary) at all?

Also there must be a Northern Shoveler, White eyed duck etc at 'Poopondia' somewhere, waiting to be discovered.
Last edited by Adam C on Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samuel Ullman
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:08 pm

Me and my workmate Fraser went for a look for the spotless crake on Thursday, sadly there was no sign of a spotless there but there was a marsh crake that showed pretty well. (Only my second ever sighing of one). It didn’t really respond to the spotless playback but was certainly interested in it all the same.
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:14 pm

Well thats about the best 'next best' you could hope for! Nice DT. Great that it's such a 'Crakey' spot.

Steve Irwin (RIP) might have said 'Crikey its Crakey around here' ;)

Ok that was bad...

Samuel Ullman
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:54 pm

It seems so. Ah well we were both happy enough! Was a new canterbury bird for my year and one for his New Zealand list!

Wonder where the spotless disappeared to hmm..

Return to “General Birding Discussion”