Canterbury Big Year

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Bev Alexander

Re: Canterbury Big Year

Postby Bev Alexander » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:28 pm

I'm sure its still there. 6 of us (Canty birders) had a walk around there today, ideal wetlands. Its just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Will be going back. I did manage to see the C.B.Goose at Travis, thanks to Adam's suggestion to view the area from the tower. There was a Glossy Ibis at the Ashley last Thurs. but didn't see it yesterday. There were 4 seen there at the beginning of the year. Happy birding all. Bev.
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:19 pm

Glad you found the Cape Barren Bev. Yes very keen to track down the Glossy Ibis and possibly the crakes this weekend. Also as a side note Jack, myself and my 10 year old Alfie are doing the 6.30am Kaikoura Albatross trip over Easter on 20th (Sat morning) we need 1 or 2 more to make up the numbers if anyone is keen. Hopefully pick up a reef heron while we're there.
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:30 pm

Both Marsh Crakes and Spotless Crakes have increased in numbers and distribution around peri-urban CHCH since the quakes as so much new suitable habitat has either self-regenerated, or been planted. Check out the massive new wetlands in the Hendersons Rd/Sparks Rd area, ultimately this area will cover 10's of hectares and I expect it to be visited by both crake species, as well as Bittern hopefully. Unfortunately the first big influx of birds has been Canada Geese......

Anyway, there's even more crake habitat in the pipeline, along the new northern arterial motorway between Belfast and Cranford Street, and some sizeable patches of kahikatea forest and other woodland on its way too.
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:04 pm

Yep it's been the most refreshing thing in the world seeing that take shape instead of more dam subdivisions and concrete. It is a stormwater deal though right? Cant wait to see how the east side/green zone areas progress and naturalize going forward too. Be nice to think Christchurch could get the eco/urban balance right
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:16 pm

Hi guys, there's big numbers of waterfowl and waders with potentially a few vagrant arctic waders or arctic/australian ducks around - they just need finding!
I was down at the CCC Reserve on Kaitorete Spit this evening and witnesses a very impressive congregation of waterbirds - 5030 Grey Teal, 441 Paras, 239 Banded Dotterel and smaller numbers of other species. Nothing unusual found, but I have a sense that at least 1 Northern Shoveler is still lurking around. Fantastic light and and clouds, so a real visual treat.....

k3.JPG
k3.JPG (69.35 KiB) Viewed 2896 times

k2.JPG
k2.JPG (56.54 KiB) Viewed 2896 times

k1.JPG
k1.JPG (36.85 KiB) Viewed 2896 times
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:37 pm

Was at Yarrs this evening too. Beautiful evening. Nothing at all in the way of Migrant waders but counted 128 Wrybill over in the next bay towards Embankment road and over 100 Banded Dotteral at a guess all very spread out. A juvenile BF Tern had me excited for a while as a possible White Winged Black but when I got closer...

I probably should have looked closer at the shoveler but I was really trying to hunt down the Curlew Sand in semi breeding colours but Its looking like 90% of the migrants have gone now. Emabankment road could still be worth a check properly though. Must still be some about!

I had no boots in the car either and not wanting to bugger up work shoes I decided to hippy it up and go bear foot! Was very enjoyable as long as I dont go down with Lepto...something or other... :shock:

Great photos Andrew.

Samuel Ullman
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:50 am

Interesting Annette Ching has just posted a pic of 3 Pectoral Sandpipers at Yarrs Flat on facebook from this week. My eyes must be crap! :lol: Just goes to show plenty of birds still around if we keep looking. Couple of blokes setting up their mais mais last night probably didn't help my case.

Samuel Ullman
Jan

Postby Jan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:43 am

Annette posted some photos of Red-necked Stint. I don't know about Pec Sands being posted. RNStint are often the very last to go and the very first to arrive here as well.
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:33 pm

Samuel Ullman
Jan

Postby Jan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:42 pm

I can't open that link you posted, Adam C. Pretty sure Pec Sands will have gone by now, though PGPlovers may still be there as well as RNStints.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”