Canterbury Big Year

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Davidthomas

Re: Canterbury Big Year

Postby Davidthomas » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:55 pm

The photo Annette posted were definitely of three pectorals. Along with a few semi coloured up rednecked stints in another post.
Jan

Postby Jan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:08 pm

Weird, I can't see any posts of anythink but RNStints. Maybe she has taken it down.
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:10 pm

She posted it to the New Zealand bird image share group which I’m not sure you’re in?
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:59 pm

Its bizarre as I covered everything from the wee bay around the point to well across towards embankment including all the grassy areas and wee pools at the back. I wasnt expecting much but was surprised at zero stints especially once I found the wrybill flock. Guess it was just timing.
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
Jan

Postby Jan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:55 am

Annette thinks she photographed the sandpipers on Tues this week. Will be interesting to see if they are still there after this storm goes through.
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:24 pm

Nice to see this chap at the Ashley Mouth this morning. What a magic morning! Crappy scope pic attached. One more easy(ish) one off the list. Getting hard now....
Kotuku.jpg
Kotuku.jpg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 3087 times
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
rowey

Postby rowey » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:31 pm

Not often the stars align, but today I managed to find both of our local Crake species. Have not been out a lot lately but took advantage of a fine afternoon to give them a crack. Firstly off to Harts Creek Hide where a bird(possibly 2) responded immediately to playback, calling for sometime. A brief view was obtained when it ran through the flattened area directly in front of the hide. 2nd time I have seen them here. Then off to Taumutu to try for terns at the lake opening. Zilch, nothing at all, however thought I would try my luck at the patch of Raupo at the end of the lagoon, off the four wheel drive track. The timing must have been right because I played the call and immediately saw a bird off to the right hand side. It is a very enclosed, overgrown patch of river/raupo, but there are some good flattened areas. I stood in the clear water and watched as a second bird appeared. They were quite unconcerned by my presence and continued to interact for a good 15mins, before disappearing. Even as close as 3mts away across the river. Quite special...
MC1.png
MC1.png (910.59 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:52 pm

That is awesome! Puts my skanky old White Heron to shame lol. What are you playing the calls on? Was the Spotless at Taumutu?

Samuel Ullman
rowey

Postby rowey » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:21 pm

Just using NZBirds Online on my cellphone. Marsh at Taumutu. Might see you in Kaiks next weekend Adam. Thinking about a road/boat trip.
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:30 pm

Sounds good. We've booked the 6.30am Sat trip but could move to the mid morning one. Whatever works. Send me a txt. Think my numbers on my profile. Just hope seas flat. Not much of a pirate... ;)

Samuel Ullman

Return to “General Birding Discussion”