Black Fantails - Whanganui

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Paul Gibson

Black Fantails - Whanganui

Postby Paul Gibson » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:14 pm

At Gordon Park, near Whanganui, there has been a black fantail sighted off and on over the last few years. After a recent reported sighting by a local birder I thought I would check the site again. This morning Jane & I made our third visit in a week, and immediately located a black fantail, and then, another appeared!! They were a pair, and were literally flying in our face. We were in a different area of the park from our previous sightings earlier in the week so it is possible there are more than two. I think this is quite incredible that two should be together, for a bird that is very rare in the North Island. Has anyone else ever seen two black-form fantails that have paired up, or seen multiple black fantails at the same site?

http://www.upics.co.nz

A47I0018s.jpg
A47I0018s.jpg (89.45 KiB) Viewed 2003 times
Colin Miskelly

Re: Black Fantails - Whanganui

Postby Colin Miskelly » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:47 pm

Kia ora Paul

I have seen multiple black fantails (including pairs, and black adults with black young) on Mana and Kapiti Islands and at Zealandia/Karori Sanctuary over the past 27 years, but don't recall multiple sightings at points further north. The most recent 'double' sighting was two chasing each other on Mana Island on 27 Oct 2017.

Nga mihi
Colin
Paul Gibson

Postby Paul Gibson » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:47 am

Thank you Colin, your information is very helpful. We can possibly expect some black young, be very nice. Likely the Wellington region black fantail population is boosted at times with birds crossing Cook Strait.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:48 am

I saw a pair at Hamilton Gardens last year. There have been singles in the area for many years but this was the first time I've seen a pair. Like you say, the odds can't be very high and it will be interesting to see if it results in a higher proportion of black offspring.
I've also seen what I believe were sibling fledglings quite a few years ago North of Hamilton at Pukemoke.
Paul Gibson

Postby Paul Gibson » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:44 pm

Thanks Neil, that is another sighting of multiple black fantails north of Wellington. We will be watching for the offspring of this pair in Whanganui.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”