Gull-billed terns at Awarua Bay, Southland

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Phil Rhodes

Gull-billed terns at Awarua Bay, Southland

Postby Phil Rhodes » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:48 pm

The two resident Awarua Gull-billed terns are once again on the Tiwai Bridge Sandspit. I had great views of them as they flew quite low over me several times, they are in full breeding plumage. There had been a 3m tide and large areas of the spit were flooded, huge flocks of Redpolls were making the most of the mini lakes. I had the impression the terns were hunting the Redpolls as they were flying low over the flocks and I see on NZ birds on-line that they are known to catch them. There were also 12 NZ Dotterel (none were banded) roosting with at least 40 Turnstone up on the gravel banks.
Davidthomas

Re: Gull-billed terns at Awarua Bay, Southland

Postby Davidthomas » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:12 pm

Interesting that none of the nz dotts were banded Phil. Any of them appear to be Juveniles?
Phil Rhodes

Postby Phil Rhodes » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:06 pm

Hi David
Yes most of them looked liked juveniles.
Jan

Postby Jan » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:51 pm

Gull-billed terns are known to catch, drown and consume redpolls and other small birds like chicks of species that nest near them. The redpoll predation was observed at Lake Ellesmere a few years ago. There's a bit in Notornis about it. The chick thing was observed in UK.
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:47 pm

Two Australian Gull-billed terns reported at the head of the bay today by Kit Hustler
nzsam

Postby nzsam » Thu May 04, 2023 9:31 am

One Australian Gull-billed tern seen at Tiwai Spit later yesterday afternoon (3 May 2023), presumably one of the pair Kit Hustler saw a few days ago at the head of Awarua Bay. Non breeding plumage and hawking for crabs over ponds.
More photos and ebird list here - https://ebird.org/atlasnz/checklist/S135898945
2X2A9261 - GBT ebird.jpg
2X2A9261 - GBT ebird.jpg (117.22 KiB) Viewed 816 times

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”