Pirongia kokako

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Pirongia kokako

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:32 am

Yesterday I went for a short walk at Pirongia (aka an Easter egg hunt) around the Mangakara Nature Walk at the end of Grey Rd. This is a nice easy walk for people who are not looking for anything strenuous and, as I've mentioned before, it must be the easiest place to see, or at least hear kokako. There is a territory right at the carpark, and they are known to feed on neighboring lawns. Hence the sign warning to approach carefully. As it was late morning by the time we got there I wasn't expecting a great deal, but a short distance along the track we heard rifleman and and a few calls that were suspiciously kokako-esque but hard to be certain with all the tui chatter. However, when we got back to the same spot after doing the loop walk I saw three kokako happily feeding silently. I guess this would be less than 100 m from the carpark (was at the second "no bikes" sign).
Also plenty of all the usual forest birds; kingfisher, bellbird, tomtit, NZ pigeon, fantail.

IMG_20190420_132153_7.jpg
Kokako caution sign approaching the end of Grey Rd, Pirongia, where kokako can be seen and heard around the carpark.
IMG_20190420_132153_7.jpg (169.57 KiB) Viewed 3091 times
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Re: Pirongia kokako

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:16 am

To add to an easy birding day, when I got home I watched a falcon tailing a rosella over the house, pushing it higher and higher until the rosella appeared to get puffed and decided to make a break down for the cover of forest. They both plunged down and disappeared into the trees and although the stoop was probably what the falcon was working toward, they both emerged a few seconds later and the process repeated and they disappeared into bush in front of the house. I didn't see the outcome this time as neither came out and I didn't want to disturb them.
rukuhia

Postby rukuhia » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:07 pm

I had an early morning walk at above spot and was pleased to hear and then watch the birds feeding in the trees. Full credit to all the volunteers who captured the birds and those who make the area predator free to see the birds so close to Hamilton.
Bob Rigter
KiwiDan

Postby KiwiDan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:30 pm

Wow.. Thanks for sharing Neil. Will have to make the trip.
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Tue May 21, 2019 3:51 pm

Just back from Pirongia. Terrible start as many very loud young children, with three leaders who didn't care, so after an hour and a half we gave up having had a few false alarms with Tui impersonating Kokako. Back in the car park and there were two in the trees around us giving lovely views, just as Neil had found. That was about 1315
Three Kereru kuu-ing over our heads were a nice sight earlier.

Cheers, Grahame
Nakilad

Postby Nakilad » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:00 pm

0-3 in the last couple of months for kokako at this location. Also a notable absence of birds in general but perhaps it has been the time of day. I'm planning on going back before the end of the year to tramp up to the hut. Maybe then.
Vaughan Turner
Birding Remotely
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:19 am

Let us know when you are heading down next and I might be able to suggest a few listening spots for kokako.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”