Blumine and Motuara in One Day e-ko tour 23rd April

Upcoming bird-watching trips and other birding events. Announce your counts, field trips, working bees, cost-share birding trips etc.
melissab

Blumine and Motuara in One Day e-ko tour 23rd April

Postby melissab » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:45 am

Hi All,

A friend and I have just booked the e-ko tours 'Blumine and Motuara in One Day' trip for Tuesday the 23rd of April (the day after Easter Monday). http://www.e-ko.nz/tours/blumine-and-motuara-in-one-day
The trip needs 6 passengers to go ahead so I thought I'd post here incase anyone was considering a visit, increasing the likelihood of it going ahead!

The boat leaves Picton at 8.15am for a 9am drop off at Blumine, then we get picked up from Blumine at 2.30pm and taken to Motuara Island for a couple of hours I assume. Total trip is 9-10 hours. Cost is $190 per person.

I've been to both island before and they are an easy way to spot a lot of birds in a short space of time. I'm hoping to see the Orange Fronted Kakariki this time!

Let me know if anyone is keen! You can book direct through the e-ko tours website.
Melissa.
samuelbloch

Re: Blumine and Motuara in One Day e-ko tour 23rd April

Postby samuelbloch » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:29 am

Hi Melissa,
I'm currently in Picton, hoping to get to Blumine Island on the 23rd as well. I wouldn't go to Motuara, but maybe we'll meet on Blumine if your tour goes ahead.
Do you know if King shags can be seen from land on Blumine, or if I need to hope that the water taxi comes near some on the way in or out?
melissab

Postby melissab » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:51 pm

Hi Samuel,
Picton seems like the place to be at the moment!
I don't think King Shags can be seen from Blumine island, but I'm not sure sorry. Some of the e-ko tours can take you to see them on their roosting rocks, or maybe your water taxi could detour if they know where they hang out. I took the e-ko 'birding tour' a few years ago which takes you close to them.
It looks like my tour has enough numbers to go ahead. Might see you on Blumine! Apparently beside the campsite near the stream is the place to spot the Orange Fronted Kakariki if that's what you're going for :-)
Melissa.
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:21 pm

They’re usually seen on the peninsula facing south from blumine island so I suspect you’d see them on your way past? (I’ve not visited blumine before so could be wrong however)
samuelbloch

Postby samuelbloch » Mon May 06, 2019 1:19 pm

I couldn't make it in the end (price/weather/availability), sadly, but I hope you had fun there! I'll have to go back, one day :p
melissab

Postby melissab » Wed May 08, 2019 10:15 pm

Hi Samuel, well you picked a good day to miss. It rained pretty hard all day and we had to walk an hour just to find cover, then hunkered down for the day. Still managed to see the Orange Fronted Parakeets though (as well as Saddlebacks, Tomtits, Weka, Bellbirds, Black Morph & Pied Fantails & Tui). And saw some King Shags on the way to Motuara Island after Blumine.
1V8A5425 king shags.JPG
1V8A5425 king shags.JPG (1.49 MiB) Viewed 3458 times
1V8A5307 of kakariki.JPG
1V8A5307 of kakariki.JPG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 3458 times

Return to “Birding Trips and Events”