Spring is coming

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Colin Miskelly

Spring is coming

Postby Colin Miskelly » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:35 am

A song thrush was singing (though a bit croaky) on my walk to work this morning - first I have heard this season.

Colin
Ian McLean

Re: Spring is coming

Postby Ian McLean » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:52 pm

Hello Colin
We had a fabulous Song Thrush singing when we had our Birds New Zealand, Pakiri Beach Patrol on Sunday, as per the attached picture by Stefan Marks. This bird was a stunner !
Cheers
Ian
Pakiri Beach Song Thrush by Stefan Marks.jpg
Pakiri Beach Song Thrush by Stefan Marks.jpg (156.43 KiB) Viewed 2384 times
philbattley

Postby philbattley » Thu May 02, 2019 5:00 pm

I'm waiting in Palmerston North for them. Several weeks ago I had one in the garden warming up. Gave my ornithology class their ID test on Tuesday without the benefit of having thrushes in full song outside...
Phil
philbattley

Postby philbattley » Tue May 07, 2019 3:05 pm

Short thrush song in my garden in Palmerston North this morning.
Phil
Richard Schofield

Postby Richard Schofield » Wed May 08, 2019 6:26 pm

Here in subtropical South Otago, I have heard thrushes singing (albeit halfheartedly) since 4th April; in the last ten days or so they have become a bit more enthusiastic, joined regularly by Chaffinch and Dunnock. This morning Suzanne saw the first SIPO in the area, while there were 2 flying upriver this evening in Balclutha; last year the first was 17th May, which in itself was significantly earlier than usual.
Peter Frost

Postby Peter Frost » Tue May 14, 2019 11:46 pm

Here in Whanganui, I heard a few scratchy notes on 1st May but they did not constitute full song. That only began the next day (2nd May), when one bird was heard singing lustily in Whanganui East in the early evening. From then on, several birds have been singing each evening, with a few also singing briefly in the mornings.

Peter

Return to “General Birding Discussion”