Are regional checklists recorded

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
andrewcrossland

Are regional checklists recorded

Postby andrewcrossland » Tue May 21, 2019 10:19 am

Hi folks,

Recent additions of Cox's Sandpiper (yes, I know not an actual species), Soft-plumaged Petrel, Grey-headed Albatross, Northern Shoveler, etc, have grown the list of bird "taxa" recorded in the Greater Christchurch area since first European settlement to 242 species. Just wondering if other sub-regional areas in NZ have checklists?
Phil Rhodes

Re: Are regional checklists recorded

Postby Phil Rhodes » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:46 pm

Hi Andrew
Sorry for the late response, I keep a list of all rare and new species added to the Southland list and also where and how many were seen and the date.
I just have a spread sheet that I update with new information as it comes to hand or when I see it pop up on Birding-NZ or other websites or in the media.
Cheers
RussCannings

Re: Are regional checklists recorded

Postby RussCannings » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:55 am

Hi Andrew,

Good question--would be interesting to know. While the taxonomy doesn't fully line up, and there will no doubt be gaps due to participation, eBird records not only all-time regional lists (e.g. Canterbury) but also "county" lists (In NZ's case--regional districts like "Matamata-Piako", "Wellington City", or "Buller"). I believe Gisborne, Nelson, and Southland are the only regions without these sub-level districts. As more and more people take to eBird (This atlas will help), it will great to see these various regions charged up with fresh data.

Russ C
Morrinsville, NZ

Return to “General Birding Discussion”