NOW 10/11th AUG 2019 - Tutukaka Winter Pelagic Seabird Weekend

Upcoming bird-watching trips and other birding events. Announce your counts, field trips, working bees, cost-share birding trips etc.
ourspot

NOW 10/11th AUG 2019 - Tutukaka Winter Pelagic Seabird Weekend

Postby ourspot » Sat May 18, 2019 5:14 pm

Hi all

After the great results of last years July pelagic I've decided to run a 2 day Tutukaka Pelagic Seabird Trip on the weekend of 6th and 7th July where we go out each morning from Tutukaka out to the deep to see what's out there.

There is currently only ONE SPOT left so be in quick. The other 7 spots have been snapped up already :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

PELAGIC TRIP INFO
Based out of Tutukaka in Northland this trip is a great opportunity to spend a full day on the water and enjoy a variety of pelagic seabirds including shearwaters, petrels, albatrosses, mollymawks and storm-petrels. Naturally there’s no guarantee on what seabirds will be present (as it depends on the season, migrations etc) but that’s part of the excitement of it. The trip leaves Tutukaka, goes via the spectacular Poor Knight Islands, and then heads out to about 40km offshore to some deep water which is a good seabird location, as well as being a known route for whales (which we see occasionally).

We depart each day at approximately 7.00am (to be confirmed) and return to the Tutukaka marina late afternoon. You’ll need to provide your own food, drink and other supplies for the trip.

The 30ft boat is fairly basic with fantastic all round viewing for bird spotting. There are pull down plastic sides and front if the weather gets a bit wet, a small separate toilet, seating in the form of a couple of benches and a few big chilly bins, so there can be a bit of standing involved.

The skipper and I will be checking the weather/swell conditions and will make a call 2 to 3 days out from the trip as to whether to go ahead or not.

COSTS:
The way the trip works is that the boat and chum cost is shared amongst the people on board, so the final cost per person isn’t finalised until closer to the trip date when numbers on board are confirmed.

A non-refundable deposit of $180 is required upon booking to secure your place on the trip and then any balance will be sorted closer to the trip date when numbers are confirmed. If the trip is cancelled due to adverse conditions then all money paid will be refunded.

Trip costs (based on how many are on board) are:
• 8 people $180 each per day ($360 for both days)
• 7 people $210 each per day ($420 for both days)

Let me know if you’re keen or if have any questions about the trip.

Cheers
Scott Brooks
021 322 324 | scott@ourspot.nz
Last edited by ourspot on Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:44 pm, edited 7 times in total.
ourspot

Re: Winter Tutukaka Pelagic Seabird Weekend - 6th & 7th July 2019 - ONE SPOT LEFT

Postby ourspot » Wed May 22, 2019 9:40 am

Just an update - Both days are now full, but if you want to go the the waiting list flick me an email and I'll put your name down.

Cheers
Scott Brooks
ourspot

Re: ONE SPOT AVAILABLE! Winter Tutukaka Pelagic Seabird Weekend - 6th & 7th July 2019

Postby ourspot » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:47 pm

Someone has had to pull out so there is now one space left on the Sunday 7th July Tutukaka Pelagic Seabird trip.

Who knows what winter beauties might show up - last year we had a Blue Petrel, 4 kinds of Prions, a Light-mantled Sooty Albatross and more!

Let me know if you’re keen to grab the last spot.

Cheers Scott
ourspot

Re: Winter Tutukaka Pelagic Seabird Weekend - 6th & 7th July 2019

Postby ourspot » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:35 pm

Both days are now full again, but if you're keen to go the the waiting list let me know

Cheers Scott
ourspot

Re: 1 Spot Left – NOW 10/11th AUG 2019 - Winter Tutukaka Pelagic Seabird Weekend

Postby ourspot » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:27 am

Due to the still fairly warm conditions up north the Tutukaka Winter Pelagic Seabird Weekend has been moved from July to the 10th and 11th of August. This should take advantage of some extra southerly blasts coming through in mid-winter and hopefully bringing additional southern birds along for the ride.

As the trip has moved date, one space has become available on the Sunday 11th August trip. Let me know if you’re keen to grab the last spot.

Cheers Scott
ourspot

Re: NOW 10/11th AUG 2019 - Tutukaka Winter Pelagic Seabird Weekend

Postby ourspot » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:44 pm

Both days are now full again, but if you're keen to go the the waiting list let me know

Cheers Scott

Return to “Birding Trips and Events”