Myna in New Brighton, Christchurch

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Adam C

Re: Myna in New Brighton, Christchurch

Postby Adam C » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:39 pm

I had a BIG realisation today. I was over in New Brighton for a job so stopped in to see if I could see the Myna. Im walking around the block where it is scanning the grass when it hit me. I am FULLY TWITCHING. I had a good laugh on the spot! No myna seen but I had a good laugh at myself. I better embrace it ;)
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
Patrick Crowe

Postby Patrick Crowe » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:51 am

Canterbury big year aside.....does anyone know if there are plans to eliminate this bird? Yes, one bird is not a threat but there is an accepted UBR of a Myna in Westmorland (possibly a different bird?) and clearly not impossible for more birds to arrive. Seems silly to me to not simply deal with it right now while there is only the one bird. This bird survived the southern winter so that doesn't seem to be an issue.
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:47 pm

nice views this morning at the red zone paddock where recent sightings have been.

myna.JPG
myna.JPG (59.77 KiB) Viewed 2934 times
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:58 pm

After a crappy work day it was nice to drive by and see this guy right by the road.

'Here I am'

'Gidday maaaaaaaate' :)
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:38 am

Bird was present this morning in the redzoned land between Hawkes Road and New Brighton Road. Seems relatively responsive to myna territorial calls if it’s not visible it might be worth a try.

Worst twitch I’ve ever done. Oh well the things we do for year ticks I guess!
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:41 pm

DT you loved it! ;)

Samuel Ullman
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:35 am

I have just had a text from PaulG to say that the Myna is still in the same place, currently on overhead power lines at intersection of Owles Terrace and Hardy Street.

Cheers, Grahame
Premnathbates

Postby Premnathbates » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:56 pm

Get rid of the mynha. They are a nightmare up nth
Mig

Postby Mig » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:59 pm

How has this bird managed to survive the zero temps?, :shock:
Clinton9

Postby Clinton9 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:46 pm

On way to Pahiatua, for my holiday, I saw several mynas in Whanganui on January this year.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”