First time birding trip in NZ

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
MCC

First time birding trip in NZ

Postby MCC » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:42 am

Hello all,

My wife and I are planning our first birding trip to NZ ( both islands as we have folks to visit on both )

I would much appreciate your help.

Is the best field guide the one by Robertson, Heather and Onley? I prefer paintings than photos.

I have found " Where to watch birds in the far North of NZ " Does this cover all of the North Island? I have not been able to find the equivalent book for South Island. Is there one?

I have approached a couple of birding companies but, sadly, I think they are outside our budget and also we wish to spend more time in Miranda and Kaikoura than the tours normally allow as well as some time with our acquaintances so we need the whole trip to take this into account.

So we need to design our own trip around these needs; we plan to be there for five weeks.

Any help is warmly appreciated or can be emailed to " badgersinbucks@btinternet.com "

My thanks/ Mike/ UK
Ian Southey

Re: First time birding trip in NZ

Postby Ian Southey » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:53 pm

Mike

You may find something by looking back at responses for similar requests but it might be easier to help more specifically if we knew where you were intending to be. The best easy spots are fairly well known and you've already picked out a couple of them.

Ian
Grahame

Re: First time birding trip in NZ

Postby Grahame » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:53 am

I live near Miranda and have sent an email to you.

Regards, Grahame

Return to “General Birding Discussion”