Myna in New Brighton, Christchurch

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Grahame

Re: Myna in New Brighton, Christchurch

Postby Grahame » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:01 am

I have just received the following email from PaulG.

I have to agree with the concerns of those writers on the Forum that this Myna should have been dealt-with before any chance of breeding comes about. If Cantabtians could see the plague proportions that these invasive birds have reached in the North Island, they would be out there dealing with it right now, today!
Last October I spent a day and a half on the phone being passed around Regional and City councils, MAF, DOC, and MPI in Christchurch, Wellington and even Auckland. The personnel there didn't even know what a Myna was. A couple thought it was a type of plant!
After I provided a full description and latin name, they were able to Google it to see what I was reporting, but still didn't understand what the problem might be, and asked why I thought it was a problem requiring action.
I was promised several calls-back, none of which ever happened.
Finally MPI in Wellington dispatched a local culling team to arrive next morning.

I spent the whole day at the bird's location in order to assist and point the Myna out.
THEY NEVER TURNED UP. And when I called MPI to check progress, nobody knew anything about the case, and there was no trace of the call reference number I'd been given.
Later that day another operator found the file, which had been closed without result.
No attempt was made to contact me for information or location info. ....and the bird is still sitting there, plain and obvious, eight months later!
TheBirderman

Postby TheBirderman » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:30 pm

Grahame wrote:I have just received the following email from PaulG.

I have to agree with the concerns of those writers on the Forum that this Myna should have been dealt-with before any chance of breeding comes about. If Cantabtians could see the plague proportions that these invasive birds have reached in the North Island, they would be out there dealing with it right now, today!
Last October I spent a day and a half on the phone being passed around Regional and City councils, MAF, DOC, and MPI in Christchurch, Wellington and even Auckland. The personnel there didn't even know what a Myna was. A couple thought it was a type of plant!
After I provided a full description and latin name, they were able to Google it to see what I was reporting, but still didn't understand what the problem might be, and asked why I thought it was a problem requiring action.
I was promised several calls-back, none of which ever happened.
Finally MPI in Wellington dispatched a local culling team to arrive next morning.

I spent the whole day at the bird's location in order to assist and point the Myna out.
THEY NEVER TURNED UP. And when I called MPI to check progress, nobody knew anything about the case, and there was no trace of the call reference number I'd been given.
Later that day another operator found the file, which had been closed without result.
No attempt was made to contact me for information or location info. ....and the bird is still sitting there, plain and obvious, eight months later!

These are the type of people in the world who don't give a shit (excuse my language) about anyone else. That is probably the worst communication on some many levels just to remove a bird. I am angry at the MPI, DOC and MAF for doing nothing.

Cheers
Jim_j

Postby Jim_j » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:07 pm

Myna were at one stage established in the South Island and died out apparently as a result of changes in farming practices, that lead to birds apparently being unable to survive the winter - NZ Birds on-line has more details.
With Myna so well established in the upper and central North Island and already apparently expanding southward it seems inevitable with global warming that they will eventually re-establish.
I think maybe mammal pests are where we need to focus.
Cheers Jim
RandF

Postby RandF » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:17 am

Is this myna still around? We had a good look yesterday but found nothing.
--
Richard Hurt
pfe92nz

Postby pfe92nz » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:26 am

Yep, still around. It was in the trees along Seaview Road (between Police Station and river) on Saturday morning. See it every two or three weeks, but never more than 200m away from Seaview Road. Hardy St, Collingwood St etc.

John
John Stewart (aka pfe92nz)
RandF

Postby RandF » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:30 pm

Thanks John, will go for another look!
--
Richard Hurt
kelly111

Postby kelly111 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:39 pm

Is it still there I have been out 5 times now with no luck.
pfe92nz

Postby pfe92nz » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:07 pm

After not seeing it for six weeks I saw on Sunday (01/09) morning on a house roof, middle of Hardy Street. So still around but a bit elusive.
pfe92nz

Postby pfe92nz » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:12 am

Have seen the Myna a couple of times this week for any locals still wanting to see it. On Tuesday it was in the trees behind the Hungarian Society Hall (middle of Hardy St) and Thursday it flew from a gum tree near my back boundary fence, to the large trees behind the old Masonic Hall on Collingwood St. So both times in the block bounded by Beresford, Union, Collingwood and Hardy streets.
les

Postby les » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:53 pm

This thread is rather ammussing to me.I find it funny to have so much interest in such a dull nuisance bird.I would see more than 50 most days on my 10km commute to work and back.As for it being too cold for them down there I don`t really think that is vallid as here in hawkesbay we can have good cold winters and they do`nt mind a bit?

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”