Hauraki Gulf pelagics

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
RussCannings

Re: Hauraki Gulf pelagics

Postby RussCannings » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:45 pm

I find it worthwhile reaching out to any and all fishing charters in a given area. This allows you to find the best price for a boat that works for what you want to do. Just make sure the skipper is happy to supply to do the 'dirty work' when it comes to the fishy bits. Usually half the price (or cheaper) than an official guided birding trip. Happy to help with suggestions on where to go and strategy etc for anyone heading out for the first time.
DLCallahan

Postby DLCallahan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:23 pm

Thanks Neil – good idea!
DLCallahan

Postby DLCallahan » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:30 pm

Neil Fitzgerald wrote:Pretty sure Brett sold Assassin, so no longer an option. Best to contact the Northern NZ Seabird Trust. https://www.nzseabirdtrust.com/pelagic-trips If they don't have a trip listed they might pull one together if there is enough interest.

Hi Neil – I don't seem to be able to get a response from the NZ Seabird Trust via their email and they don't list any pelagics after March this year. I don't suppose you – or anyone else – would have an alternative email for them or know if they're running anything this autumn ..?

thanks, D
DLCallahan

Postby DLCallahan » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:39 pm

RussCannings wrote:I find it worthwhile reaching out to any and all fishing charters in a given area. This allows you to find the best price for a boat that works for what you want to do. Just make sure the skipper is happy to supply to do the 'dirty work' when it comes to the fishy bits. Usually half the price (or cheaper) than an official guided birding trip. Happy to help with suggestions on where to go and strategy etc for anyone heading out for the first time.

Thanks so much – will let you know what I find out. D

Return to “General Birding Discussion”