Rook nest

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
fras444

Rook nest

Postby fras444 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:34 pm

A pair of rooks are about making a nest but......
After reading the local taupo times.... letting officers know about rook sightings I'm not too sure if I should mention the location on here but if anyone is keen of ticking this off their list.... let's say that the location is very very central.... I'll PM you guys
kelly111

Re: Rook nest

Postby kelly111 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:11 pm

fras444 wrote:A pair of rooks are about making a nest but......
After reading the local taupo times.... letting officers know about rook sightings I'm not too sure if I should mention the location on here but if anyone is keen of ticking this off their list.... let's say that the location is very very central.... I'll PM you guys
hi yes do not let the officers know as thay will kill them.i think the rook is a very cool bird.
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:44 am

Hell yes, keep quiet. In Europe the farmers like them, but its the Carrion Crow that that does all the damage on farms.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:34 pm

In local newspaper asking for rook sightings for control, I'm pretty sure it's a photo of a crow.
https://www.pressreader.com/new-zealand ... 6717078203
Maybe this whole took eradication business is a case of mistaken identity!?
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:41 am

Hard to tell from that angle but juvenile rooks (the gape on this bird is indicative of a juvenile bird I would think) don't have the pale bill base like adult rooks so it comes down to head and bill shape to separate from Carrion Crow (among other features not visible in this photo). The appearance of a steep forehead suggests rook to me but I'll let more experienced Euro birders confirm.

Fras--is this the same nesting site as in Oct 2015? I'd be interested in a PM location. Cheers.

Russ
fras444

Postby fras444 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:44 am

That was also the same article that was posted in our local Taupo Times news paper.
If anyone wants to check these birds out at such a handy location please let me know, they are quite active building their nest at the moment
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:28 am

You are probably right Russ. It's a stock image carried by several agencies with the caption "portrait of a rook" or "portrait of a rook sitting on a fence"
e.g. https://www.123rf.com/photo_87252126_po ... -rook.html
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:50 am

I agree with Russ that its the head and bill shape we have to go by. I think a Rook would have a steeper forehead, but its the bill shape that really does it for me. The stout and curved culmen says Carrion Crow.
Cheers, Grahame
Ian McLean

Postby Ian McLean » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:21 am

Hi there
I have sent a message to both the Waikato Regional Council & the Te Awamutu Courier advising them of their error in posting the picture of a Carrion Crow instead of a Rook.
Hopefully their awareness of our birdlife will improve.
Cheers
Ian
Dory

Postby Dory » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:47 am

Hell yes don’t let them know where they are. They are such an intelligent bird. We used to live in Ireland and I miss having them around.

Frass444 I would love to show my kids during the school holidays. Could you PM me the location please?

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”