Embankment Road: 2019/20 Season

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
wazzagonewild

Embankment Road: 2019/20 Season

Postby wazzagonewild » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:01 pm

I thought I'd start a new thread for this well-known location for this wader season so that all updates from here can be in one place.

I visited this morning. It was a bit cold, but the sun was shining, and most importantly, there were lots of birds.

Highlights along with all the usual species were:
1 marsh sandpiper (with stilts, continuing from the weekend)
1 sharptailed sandpiper (with wrybill)
2 red-necked stints
42 bar-tailed godwits (most likely overwintering as no signs of recent arrival from migration)
50 wrybill
12 banded dotterel
Last edited by wazzagonewild on Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrewcrossland

Re: Embankment Road: 2019/20 Season

Postby andrewcrossland » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:02 pm

The Marsh Sandpiper was amongst Pied Stilts at the head of Greenpark Lagoon, about 300m east of Jarvis Road at dusk this evening.
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:47 pm

The marsh sandpiper was still present this morning. At the Clarke’s road eBird hotspot. There was a single moulting sharptailed sandpiper near the fenceline at embankment road along with two red necked stints and assorted other Birds.
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:15 am

Mike Ashbee reported a non breeding little Tern this morning at embankment road. Flew across the wet area right by the Fenceline. Will add more info if I receive it.
mikullashbee

Postby mikullashbee » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:21 pm

Here is an image of the Little Tern seen this AM at Enbankment rd. Headed toward Wolfes rd but as you know could be anywhere at this point. Worth a look for sure as you never know what else you may turn up.
Little Tern.jpg
Little Tern.jpg (305.1 KiB) Viewed 3770 times

Cheers,
Mike Ashbee
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:50 pm

Dam that's a big one on my hit list! Same one reported by Andrew a month or so back probably. Might stick around for a bit but bet it moves about the lake Forsyth, Ellesmete catchment a bit. Going to need some frequent visits and a dose of luck! Great shot Mike.
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:31 pm

Hi all. Good views of Kieran Rowe's Marsh Sandpiper at Embankment Road this morning with Jack in tow. Also present were 2 Sharp Tailed Sandpiper and a lone Stint. No sign of the Little tern but know that one is going to be a case of persistence over the season and a dose of luck!. 60+ BT Godwit in 2 seperate pods of around 30 each.

Marshie was distant so tricky to photograph but a hodgepodge of some fuzzy pics attached for the record. One more new tick for Jack!
Marshie 1f.jpg
Marshie 1f.jpg (906.94 KiB) Viewed 3661 times
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
Wiedehopf

Postby Wiedehopf » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:54 pm

The lone Marsh Sandpiper was present at Embankment Rd this morning around 11, feeding with some Pied Stilts. It was quite distant, so couldn't get a good photo.
112A1551.JPG
112A1551.JPG (530.67 KiB) Viewed 3509 times
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:51 pm

Not a lot to report at Embankment road wader wise this morning other than a good group of 25+ Stints. A couple still carrying quite strong remnants of breeding colours (shown in attached photo) so possibly fresh arrivals.

Lake has dropped considerably and most birds looked to be down the Jarvis road end so maybe worth a visit! There was a vehicle parked in front of me when I got there so maybe this crew saw more than I did!

However as posted before the Little Tern was there this morning so very happy to add that one to my life list! Very distinctive in flight compared to BF or White Fronted. Very cool to see!

However it was roosting with Spur Winged Plovers which spooked very early. I followed it with Binoculars as it flew towards Wolfs Road however it the did me the honour of circling back and landing back at the base of the Embankment road fence line again. I got to within about 300 yards and just managed a few pics before it lifted off again.

One happy birder with the Little Stint and Little Tern added to my life list this week!
Red Necks 1f.jpg
Red Necks 1f.jpg (295.02 KiB) Viewed 3380 times
Little Tern f.jpg
Little Tern f.jpg (667.77 KiB) Viewed 3380 times

Samuel Ullman
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:37 pm

Stunning evening at Embankment this evening.

Little Stint present along with 41 other black legged Stints. Prob all RNS. 2x Curlew Sandpiper, 1 Marsh Sandpiper, 40+ Bar Tailed Godwit and 5x Red Knot along with all the other usual suspects No sign of the Sharp tail that has been here recently. Finally managed a nice snap of the Little Stint attached. Also a rather odd Godwit with a slightly shorter bill and slightly smaller size which I am going to scrutinise photos of later.
Little Stint 1.jpg
Little Stint 1.jpg (419.98 KiB) Viewed 3254 times

Samuel Ullman

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”