possible Little Stint

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Steve Wood

Re: possible Little Stint

Postby Steve Wood » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:27 am

Hi Glenn,
I forwarded this bird on for a second opinion and the consensus was Juv Little Stint.
So it would be a good idea to make an official report on this one.
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:18 am

Thanks for the update Steve, would love to know more from your second opinion as this is a great learning experience, especially considering our remarkably bright on-going NZ bird (ad/juv?)

And thanks Glenn for the follow up. My mouth is watering! I imagine it to be an intriguing mix of Asian and Micronesian birds in paradise.
gmckinlay

Postby gmckinlay » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:16 am

Yes, it would be helpful to know details and sources for Steve's second opinion. We have a bird record committee here, and will need to get the diagnostics pinned down correctly.

Russ, I am here through 2020. The Peleliu shorebird site is for the intrepid and tough. Kayak there and minimalist campout for 2-3 days on the neap tide. The heat is brutal, but worth it. Last visit a stingray nearly knocked the telescope over. Could get you there if you are determined.
sav

Postby sav » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:43 am

Hi all,

Phil Hammond was on site through the very big high tide on Sunday (29 Sept), but didnt find the Little Stint.

cheers
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders
phil hammond

Postby phil hammond » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:11 pm

Yes 7 of us there on Sunday. Fortunately Ian S and I had seen it on previous visits, but bad luck for others who hoped to see it for the first time

Must be a good chance of it turning up again here or somewhere else before it loses it's distinctive appearance. If it does stick around it will be interesting to see if anyone thinks they can pick it out in basic plumage, perhaps on structure

If it does stay, perhaps it will get enough colour in autumn to be distinctive?

Phil Hammond
Wrybill Birding Tours NZ
"Great Birds Real Birders"
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:41 pm

As a follow up, here is a great paper on Little Stints in Australia including information on identification of various ages at different times of year etc. I believe one of the authors has seen pictures of the Karaka bird and believes it to be an adult.

https://birdssa.asn.au/images/saopdfs/V ... 40P062.pdf

Fingers crossed that it re-appears somewhere in NZ for further study! :)

Russ C
Morrinsville, NZ
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:42 am

I have just received a text from PaulG who is with Igor at Kidds.

Little Stint showing well, also Gtr Sandplovers, Whimbrel, Curlew, R n Stints etc.

Cheers, Grahame
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:21 pm

Phew! That’s a relief. I’m going to be up there in two weeks time and was hoping he’d stuck around.
David Lawrie

Postby David Lawrie » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:03 pm

there were 4 of us on the site today, but there was no sign of the Little Stint.
There was a total of 9 Stint including one sporting a very bright plumage, but it was only a RN Stint
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:37 pm

Paul Godolphin sent the following and has kindly allowed it to be reposted here.
Neil

The weekend’s coming, and again there are few positive reports for those itching to have a belated go at seeing the Little Stint at
Kidds. Instead of it being reliably seen at every visit as it was early in it’s stay, the bird now seems to evade 50% of observers, and with the influx of more stints to the site, seems to have become more mobile and wide-ranging.

At first there was also a well-marked darker Rednecked mixing with the small flock of half a dozen birds, and now there’s a strikingly bright and brick red individual Rednecked moving about with one of two loose groups. The whole lot are more flighty, spread wider, or sometimes alone or in separate flocks. A quick look at a sparkling red bird in the sunshine just won’t do! Every diagnostic marker has to be seen, and seen well.

To assist anyone attending the site this weekend, here’s a couple of awful quality phone snaps of both the Little and the bright Rednecked. After a stir-up when some stints joined the flock containing the Little Stint, and others (including the Little Stint) left… we found ourselves watching the wrong bird for a few moments, and wondering where all the diagnostic features had disappeared to !!

Features of note on this individual Little Stint:

• Bright gingery brick red colouration, shines in good light
  • Bold gleaming white mantle margins to scapulars/coverts
  • Double supercilium, the upper one being much finer.
  • Slim, finely attenuated torso. Accentuates poise and sharp rear end.
  • Noticeably long upper legs. Knee joint halfway between belly and foot.
  • Possibly a tiny fraction smaller than Rednecked, if at all.
  • More regular movements and rhythmic feeding action. Less sudden short dashing runs and bursts of ‘speeded-up sewing machine’ probing than Rednecked.

There were no Little Stint sightings posted last week, only one last Saturday, and it wasn’t found at all on Sunday. The brightly marked Rednecked was present both days, so double-check what you’re looking at!

Check out the attached photos. (phone snaps only, I’m a birder, not a photographer, as you can see!!)

I hope you find these notes helpful.

x NO CREDIT Redneck Stint Kidds Pic1edit 14oct19.jpg
x NO CREDIT Redneck Stint Kidds Pic1edit 14oct19.jpg (127.31 KiB) Viewed 1919 times

x NO CREDIT Redneck Stint Kidds  Pic2edit14oct19.jpg
x NO CREDIT Redneck Stint Kidds Pic2edit14oct19.jpg (108.38 KiB) Viewed 1919 times

y 20190918_113313edit.jpg
y 20190918_113313edit.jpg (185.43 KiB) Viewed 1919 times

y 20190918_113350edit2.jpg
y 20190918_113350edit2.jpg (176.92 KiB) Viewed 1919 times

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”