Rifleman at Eaves Bush, Orewa

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
PaulintheBay

Postby PaulintheBay » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:03 pm

Just been told of 2 Rifleman spotted and heard at Eaves Bush Orewa today. Will alert Birds Auckland. Paul.
Ian McLean

Re: Rifleman at Eaves Bush, Orewa

Postby Ian McLean » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:12 am

Hello Paul
Thanks for this information.
As there are Rifleman on Tiritiri Matangi Island which is approx 20 km away from Eaves Bush, this is not beyond the realms of possibility ! I am not sure of the overwater flight capabilities of Riflemen, but maybe the gap between Tiri & Shakespear Park is not too great ? Eaves Bush is certainly a great habitat for them & is one of the best coastal broadlieaf forest remnants with kauri, kahikatea, karaka, kōwhai, mataī, puriri, rewarewa, supplejack, taraire and large numbers of nīkau palms.
Paul, please encourage the those whom made the sighting to submit a UBR (Unusual Bird Report). Also, as I am the Birds New Zealand, Auckland RR they can contact me for advice. My details are on the Birds New Zealand website.
Cheers
Ian
PaulintheBay

Postby PaulintheBay » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:46 am

Hi Ian. I'll send them a link to the UBR. I'll be up there in the next month to get a scope of the location. Apologies have only just seen this message. Paul
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:37 pm

Water crossing from Tiri would be orders of magnitude greater than known gap crossing ability. As I've said before about rifleman reports in the >Auckland area, I'm sceptical and think good evidence (e.g clear photo) is needed to confirm such sightings.
Ian McLean

Postby Ian McLean » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:57 pm

Hello Neil
No one reverted back to me about this & a UBR has not been submitted. It could be that the person has mistaken a Silvereye for a Rifleman ?
Just FYI: Someone recently claimed on social media here in Auckland that Rifleman occur on Owairaka (Mt Albert) which was either very wishful thinking or a someone with limited or no birding experience making an error in also mistaking Silvereyes for Rifleman.
Anyway, I much prefer people report &/or ask for advice regarding sightings, than not report them at all !
Cheers
Ian
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:35 am

Grey warbler fledglings can be tricky. I've had to take a second look in the past. Timy bird, very short tail, and they make a constant high pitched begging call.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”