NOT ALL THE DOGS LOVE GOING OUTDOOR

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
fras444

What rare Self-introduced birds are still breeding

Postby fras444 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:34 pm

Just curious to know what is the complete list of vagrant birds that have breed here and those of our self-introduced birds that still have slim hold of a breeding population in NZ and what is their future for growth

A couple I can think of

Hoary-headed grebe: A pair bred not to long ago. Are they still a native breeding species? Is there a chance of them becoming established? Any thing holding them back habitat wise from spreading

Barn Owl: Are they established or is it still yet to be decided if they still currently breed? Has their range grown?

Glossy Isbis: Are they an established/breeding each year since their first recorded nest in 2015 or are they just hanging in there
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Re: What rare Self-introduced birds are still breeding

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:16 am

Sounds like barn owls are booming, and increasingly getting hit on roads: https://notornis.osnz.org.nz/node/4369

Glossy Ibis appears to be steadily increasing: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8662&start=10#p41220
bombaydave2

Postby bombaydave2 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:03 pm

Galah and Sulphur Crested Cockatoo seem to be increasing in South Auckland/ North Waikato
SomesBirder

Postby SomesBirder » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:02 pm

bombaydave2 wrote:Galah and Sulphur Crested Cockatoo seem to be increasing in South Auckland/ North Waikato

Those are introduced species that are the descendants of escaped/released pets.
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:11 pm

Hi Fras,

In regards to HH Grebes and Wood Ducks down south I guess time will tell. Plenty of habitat so inbreeding and predators will be the limiting factors I would think.

As for others well it depends how far back you want to go. Spur-winged Plovers are doing well last time I checked!

If you have one of the full-sized copies of the Robertson guides there is plenty to read up on regarding former/current breeding status of marginal or well established Aussie imports.

Russ
bombaydave2

Postby bombaydave2 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:18 am

Re: Sulphur crested cockatoos and galahs - I have been reliably informed that birds are sometimes found on the west coast very tired and could quite easily have been blown across form Aus. Are there any reports or are we presuming they are released/ escaped pets.
SomesBirder

Postby SomesBirder » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:49 am

bombaydave2 wrote:Re: Sulphur crested cockatoos and galahs - I have been reliably informed that birds are sometimes found on the west coast very tired and could quite easily have been blown across form Aus. Are there any reports or are we presuming they are released/ escaped pets.

To my understanding, there is one record of a Sulphur-crested Cockatoo that was found exhausted after a storm and might have been a vagrant. I've never heard of a Galah being seen in a similar condition.
Colin Miskelly

Postby Colin Miskelly » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:30 am

There was a single galah seen at Woodhill State Forest (behind Muriwai Beach, west Auckland) on 8 Jun 1975

See Notornis 22: 331

Regards
Colin
Jim_j

Postby Jim_j » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:38 pm

I'd suggest that it is likely that storm blown individuals of both parrots land here on occasion - but that local populations are primarily from escapees or illegal? releases
Cheers
Jim
SomesBirder

Postby SomesBirder » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:16 pm

The Barn Owl is rumoured to be widespread in the northern North Island now, but to my understanding, sightings south of Northland since 2008 almost never get confirmed. I think that a road-killed one was found in Rotorua relatively recently.

The Hoary-headed Grebe appears to still be breeding at Lake Elterwater; there was at least one report of young birds being seen there earlier this year. New populations of small grebe species are quite prone to declining and dying out, so the future of this population is tentative. Glossy Ibis have probably bred at Wairau Lagoons in every summer since late 2015; where they go for the remainder of each year is currently unknown. Also, Australian Wood Duck are still present in Tasman and are possibly increasing; there was a recent report of 20 of them seen at Hoddy Estuary Park.

There was one successful breeding record of the Australian (Gull-billed) Tern in early 2021 but there has been no other news of possible breeding for this species since then.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”