Nankeen Night Herons?

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Alan S

Nankeen Night Herons?

Postby Alan S » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:39 pm

Hi,

My wife and I will be spending two days in Whanganui in November (my first visit in 50 years) and I would like to see a Nankeen Night Heron. I understand they are often present at the Upokongaro cafe. Can anyone advise me approximately when do they start appearing, at dusk, earlier or when it is nearly dark?

Thanks Alan
Paul Gibson

Re: Nankeen Night Herons?

Postby Paul Gibson » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:26 pm

Hi Alan, The night herons are sometimes seen at the Upok Cafe but problem is that the cafe closes at around 3:30 pm. Another site further upriver is more certain but mostly on private land. The birds depart for the night when it is about 80% dark, but sometimes in late afternoon they will come out and sun themselves, so when this happens it is a great time to see them. We local birders know the landowner and often take people out there. We can likely arrange for someone to go with you, but you will need to give us a firm date, so some plans can be made. Cheers Paul
www.upics.co.nz
Alan S

Re: Nankeen Night Herons?

Postby Alan S » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:47 pm

Thank-you Paul for your speedy response and the kind offer.
I will have a talk with my wife and confirm our dates directly with you.
Regards, Alan

Return to “General Birding Discussion”