Gull-billed terns - Southland

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Phil Rhodes

Gull-billed terns - Southland

Postby Phil Rhodes » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:43 pm

It looks as though the Awarua Bay resident GBT pair have moved up the coast to Waituna Lagoon. I was doing a count for the Atlas at the wooden shelter at the end of Waghorn Road today when I noticed a pair of GBT huddled together on a grassy mudbank. I presume this could be the same pair that have been seen on a regular basis around Awarua Bay, they are both in breeding plumage. We tend to ignore Waituna as there is often few areas exposed for feeding due to the lagoon often full of water depending on whether they have opened the outlet to the sea or not. Today was an exception with 16 species recorded including approx 160 godwit an 75 turnstone. Also a very good area for fernbird. Worth a visit, just drive down Waghorn Road (dirt road) to the car park and then 5 minute walk to the shelter, just watch out for the sandflies they were persistent today!
Phil Rhodes

Re: Gull-billed terns - Southland

Postby Phil Rhodes » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:31 am

I saw another GBT yesterday hawking along the New River estuary adjacent to Stead St, tide was in and very high. As with other sightings it was in full breeding plumage.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”