Stint question

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Adam C

Stint question

Postby Adam C » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:55 pm

Hi all so I photographed a LOT of the Stint flock on Monday evening. Nothing really stood out from Red neck territory but there was one bird with longer bill than all the others. I'm sure it probably falls within standard variation of RNS bill length but it also starts to get into possible Western SP length. I know these things get pretty blurry but always good to push discussion and keep us all looking.

Birds 2-6 were just random samples with as much variation in bill length as I could find in the rest of the flock.

This bird structurally seemed subtly different too but again just throwing it out to the experts out there for confirmation that it is just a RNS at the long end of the bill size.
Stints Comp f.jpg
Stints Comp f.jpg (530.81 KiB) Viewed 1932 times
Stint beak f.jpg
Stint beak f.jpg (354.57 KiB) Viewed 1932 times
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
Adam C

Re: Stint question

Postby Adam C » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:31 pm

oops..supposed to be a number 6 on the bottom right of the comp. Not that it matters!
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
Olivermel

Postby Olivermel » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:03 am

Fantastic shots, Adam. Were they shot in a very short time span?
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:05 am

I was surrounded by the Stint flock after they were initially spooked by a Harrier while they were the usual distance away. I was sitting low and for some reason they decided to use me as a base to settle around. I was literally surrounded so thought it a good opp to get as many shots of each individual as possible. Most went straight into head tucked, roost mode but some were keeping an eye on me ;) All the birds with heads up I photographed, including the Little Stint posted earlier. I guess I was a member of the Stint mob for about an hour or so. Clicking away. Very cool experience.

Samuel Ullman
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:53 am

More I look at it the more I'm 99% on a RNS. Cant see his toes though which would help. Plenty of RNS on line with beaks in this length range and plumage is standard RNS but worth questioning I guess!

Samuel Ullman

Return to “General Birding Discussion”