A macabre discovery in Ponsonby

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Cela

A macabre discovery in Ponsonby

Postby Cela » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:09 pm

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could cast any light on a rather macabre discovery I made this morning. On my 2nd story balcony the newly severed head of a baby blackbird, just hatched by the look of it. How could it have got there, and who decapitated it? Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm baffled, and a little concerned.
SomesBirder

Re: A macabre discovery in Ponsonby

Postby SomesBirder » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:43 pm

Recently in Wellington, a falcon was seen catching and killing a wood pigeon. The falcon severed the wood pigeon's head while eating it.
Cela

Postby Cela » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:37 am

Thanks SomesBirder. I will keep a look out for Falcons I guess. I’ve just planted the garden out in natives to bring the birds so I really hope it doesn’t happen again.
Jim_j

Postby Jim_j » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:02 am

Very unlikely to be a Falcon responsible in central Auckland - more likely a rat.

Cheers
Jim
Cela

Postby Cela » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:38 am

Hi Jim, A falcon does seem unlikely, but wouldn't a rat, or a cat eat the head first? I have to say its a very neat cut. And then there is the question of how it got 30 feet up in the air and onto the balcony...
Jim_j

Postby Jim_j » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:09 pm

Yeah true that does suggest an avian predator.
Guess there could be a range of suspects - morepork, kingfisher, myna, magpie - maybe rosella? - even another blackbird is not impossible.
They are all probably more likely than a Falcon - even a passing LT Cuckoo is more likely than Falcon in Auckland
If the bird was being carried in a beak by the neck the head could have separated in flight?

Cheers
Jim
simon.fordham

Postby simon.fordham » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:24 pm

If it was morepork, it is more likely for the head to be eaten and the body left.
Cela

Postby Cela » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:17 pm

Thank you all so much for your replies, I have a preponderance of kingfishers, myna’s, magpies and have seen a few rosellas lately. I think you are right Jim_j a dead bird was being carried and the head separated in flight. I found another (entire) dead baby blackbird on a lower deck yesterday-so they do fall out of nests. Then this morning I found a large crust on the balcony, which backs up the dropped in flight theory.

Hope you have all voted for Bird of the Year!
Ian McLean

Postby Ian McLean » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:41 pm

"Guess there could be a range of suspects - morepork, kingfisher, myna, magpie - maybe rosella?"

Jim, that's interesting that you suspect a Rosella as a possible predator of this dead bird. I can't find any notes about Rosella's predating nestlings or killing any other birds. Can you please provide any information you have about this ? Although they eat insects in addition to fruit, flower buds etc, they appear not to have the predatory reputation of say the Antipodes Island Parakeet !

Unfortunately, I find that when it comes to birds from Australia (be they native or introduced) people seem to have a wishful anti Australian tendancy to blame them for things that they do not actually do !

Cheers
Ian
Jim_j

Postby Jim_j » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:43 pm

Hi Ian
Just idle speculation on my part.
As you mention members of the parrot family have been known to predate animals - I believe kaka have been identified preying on nesting birds in Zelandia.
I also included kingfisher in my list of suspects but I'm not sure they have ever been identified as taking nestlings?
I suspect many omnivorous birds may be more opportunistic than is generally suspected.
Cheers Jim

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”