Rainbow Lorikeet in Pungerehu, Taranaki

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Liam Ballard

Rainbow Lorikeet in Pungerehu, Taranaki

Postby Liam Ballard » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:47 pm

Spotted a lone Rainbow Lorikeet at the Pungerehu community swimming pools yesterday. Almost certainly an escapee, however it was fully flighted and quite wary, so I suspect it has been out for a while.

I have reported it to MPI Biosecurity so hopefully the owner will be found. I am not aware of any previous records around the region (probably because it is so underbirded) but would be interested to know if anyone else has had a similar sighting.

Cheers,
Liam Ballard
Threeps

Re: Rainbow Lorikeet in Pungerehu, Taranaki

Postby Threeps » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:00 pm

I spotted a pair of rainbow lorikeets at Waitara river mouth on 13 Oct and again 13 Nov. Very wary, flying between the banks of the river from East Quay and into the small wetland area.
Steve Purdon

No te whenua mo nga Kotimana ahau.
Michael Szabo

Postby Michael Szabo » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:55 am

"The main reasons that efforts are made to eradicate rainbow lorikeets in New Zealand is to eliminate any potential threat to horticulture, and to reduce the risk of parrot-specific diseases that they may carry infecting native parrots, including kakapo. Rainbow lorikeets also compete with other nectar-feeding species; in Auckland, they excluded tui from nectar feeders. They can occur in large flocks, and elsewhere damage apples, grapes and other soft fruit. Feral rainbow lorikeets in Auckland out-competed other species for nest holes. They may be kept in secure aviaries and cages, but it is illegal to release rainbow lorikeets to the wild."

http://www.nzbirdsonline.org.nz/species ... w-lorikeet
'Birds New Zealand' Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Birdsnewzealand
Clinton9

Postby Clinton9 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:00 pm

Don't forget Eastern rosellas and Rainbow lorikeets are both unprotected Australian birds, they can be pests to orchards and attack kakarikis & kick them out of nest holes.

So either eradicate both Eastern rosellas and Rainbow lorikeets or let them roam freely.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”