Falcon any around to see..

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
kelly111

Falcon any around to see..

Postby kelly111 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:56 pm

Hi any one know of any falcons nesting in the south island I am in Canterbury.. This is one bird I need to photograph I have over 120 bird species in the south island now. But I need this one. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you...
RussCannings

Re: Falcon any around to see..

Postby RussCannings » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:51 pm

Hi Kelly,

I don't live on the South Island currently so can't help with any specifics though I would say that if you spend enough time in their wide range (eg Hawdon Valley, Okarito, and Queenstown, just to name a few good spots) you will eventually be rewarded with splendid views and photo ops. Half the fun is the hunt I reckon! They are out there I promise. :D

You may also find that posters here will be cautious in sharing sensitive information like nest sites on public forums, as unfortunately unnecessary disturbance from birders/photogs is not unheard of.

Best of luck,

Russ
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:43 pm

One of my go to spots is Mount John observatory near Tekapo. There’s usually a pair hanging about there. But as Russ says, they’re generally pretty apparent if you spend a bit of time in any of the alpine areas or lower tracks.
kelly111

Postby kelly111 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:47 pm

RussCannings wrote:Hi Kelly,

I don't live on the South Island currently so can't help with any specifics though I would say that if you spend enough time in their wide range (eg Hawdon Valley, Okarito, and Queenstown, just to name a few good spots) you will eventually be rewarded with splendid views and photo ops. Half the fun is the hunt I reckon! They are out there I promise. :D

You may also find that posters here will be cautious in sharing sensitive information like nest sites on public forums, as unfortunately unnecessary disturbance from birders/photogs is not unheard of.

Best of luck,

Russ
cool thanks for that me and my 10yr old son are going to go hunting this weekend for one. Be good to see one.
kelly111

Postby kelly111 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:50 pm

Davidthomas wrote:One of my go to spots is Mount John observatory near Tekapo. There’s usually a pair hanging about there. But as Russ says, they’re generally pretty apparent if you spend a bit of time in any of the alpine areas or lower tracks.
yes we are going down there in two weeks so will have a good look around.be something special for me and my son to see.he is falcon mad.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”