Unknown bird calls at night

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
The Sparky

Unknown bird calls at night

Postby The Sparky » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:26 pm

Hello all (forum newbie, 40 yr old electrician)

Got a high pitched chip-chip-chip-chip call coming from high up in the night sky, most nights here in the Warkworth area.
It's not a spurwing plover, it's a lot softer than that.

They seem to call to each other, answering from several directions.

Any idea what bird this is?
Liam Ballard

Re: Unknown bird calls at night

Postby Liam Ballard » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:08 am

Maybe look at Cook's Petrel calls? I'd think they'd probably fly over you to roost if you are in Warkworth. NZ Birds Online has some.
Liam Ballard
The Sparky

Postby The Sparky » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:01 pm

Yes, I believe you're correct.
julia

Postby julia » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:39 pm

Here are a couple of links to videos i took.... is this your bird? (please have Volume turned up). https://youtu.be/69LRcs9Daq0 and https://youtu.be/Sn_Z3NqvT4c

there was an earlier thread on this sound... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3104

i have puzzled over it for several years. thanks to this forum my curiosity is now satisfied!
Patrick Crowe

Postby Patrick Crowe » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:24 pm

Yes I remember the old post from Julia. Cook's Petrels are known to fly over this area at night time particularly during this time of year as they are just at the start of their breeding season. These will be birds breeding on Little and Great Barrier Island
jjen009

Postby jjen009 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:42 am

I live in Pukekohe, and working hours are 6AM-4PM, so I get up early, about 3:30, and from about 4:15 or so I take a 3Km walk. For the last couple of months, I hear a very distinctive bird call. I *think* there is only one - at least, I never hear two at once. I never hear the call after sunrise. Of course there are other birds, morepork is obvious, and lots chirping and twittering. This call is flutelike. It consists of two quick notes, then one that is up about a musical fifth (if you know music), a kind of squawk, then down a kind of flat 7th - almost an octave - and then another squawk. If it is one bird, it moves around - not during the same morning walk, but on different mornings - always within the same area about a Kilometre long.

I'm not a birder, really, but this guy has really fascinated me. I suppose, considering the probabilities, it is a tui. I know they can have very variable calls. Maybe it's just its "night call" - I never hear it in daylight. And of course I never see it, because it's dark when I go on my walk.

If anyone has any suggestion, I'd love to hear it. I'll try to record it on my phone one of these mornings.

Later (1/11/20) - I have made a recording. Is there some way to upload the file? Otherwise, if someone will email me jjen009 at gmail I can send the recording.
Isaacoliver

Postby Isaacoliver » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:06 am

Hi there...I live in Manurewa auckland and there is a bird that sits in the highest part of a gigantic Norfolk pine and sings a song from 2am till 5am everyday. Its sounds like 2 bursts of gunfire from a weapon on starwars then a short grunt. I have never heard it before the last 6 months or so. It is singing to a mate in a tree in the distance, because I can hear a response. Would love to know what it is.

Voice-001_sd.mp3 [ 859.56 KiB | Viewed 3725 times ]

David Riddell

Postby David Riddell » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:10 am

Hi, it's a tui. They sometimes call at night, and a lot of the Auckland birds have simple one or two-note calls for some reason.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”