miranda today (2005-2020)

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
RussCannings

Re: miranda today

Postby RussCannings » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:39 pm

Birded Miranda at HT on Friday evening. Birds were mostly distant due to small high tide but always a lovely place to be on sunny evenings (much better than mornings with the light at your back!). No sign of the Broad-billed or Curlew Sand, but 1 RN Stint came out along with 8 turnstone, 1 MARSH SANDPIPER (Feeding south of the godwit hide), and 3 FAR EASTERN CURLEW. 35 Golden Plover were also in attendence along with the usual hordes of godwit and knot and a group of about 25 wrybill etc. A pipit called overhead, and a lone BROWN TEAL was on the Stilt Ponds along with loads of Grey Teal.

I returned to Miranda again on Saturday morning though unfortunately several hours after high tide so the main flocks didn't hang around much after I arrived (and many had already left). Saw the MARSH SANDPIPER briefly out near the shellbank but it disappeared over to the other side about 5 seconds after I got onto it. 3 SHARP-TAILED SANDPIPERS were on the Stilt Ponds and best of all were SIX BROWN TEAL. Also of note was a Banded Rail showing well at the pond in front of the visitor's center. (Once again, no signed of Mr Broadie, so hopefully next time on a bigger tide!)

On Friday evening, several Arctic Skua were off shellbanks in the northerlies, and this morning one was floating off Kaiaua.

Russ C
Morrinsville, NZ
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:41 pm

Four Pectoral Sandpipers on the Stilt Pools this afternoon, three F E Curlews from main hide, one Canada goose on the shell bank, two N Z Dotterel, then as the tide flooded in, the Broad-billed sandpiper put in an appearance.
Cheers, Grahame
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:54 pm

The Broad-billed Sandpiper was showing very well on the stilt pond this morning, and it was seen that the head markings are now as expected for this species.
Supporting cast were, 2 (poss 3) Pectoral Sandpipers, 4 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, 1 Red-necked Stint &15 Turnstone. All on the stilt pond. A poss 2nd Stint, was rather large, Broad-billed size, with a long curved bill. Those on site didn't agree, but all who saw a poor photo say it was a stint.

Cheers, Grahame
Phil Jackson

Postby Phil Jackson » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:15 pm

I have taken 5 photos of small stint like bird that is presumed to be a Broad-billed Sandpiper, however the bird in question has very dark legs and is about 1/2 the size of a Wrybil. The subject bird is standing beside a Wrybil, how do I forward these photo for ID?
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:54 pm

Hi Phil. Hit Post Reply then drag and drop photos. More details here: viewtopic.php?t=5744
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:32 pm

No sign of the odd wader or the red n Stint this morning, but it now seems that some birders suspicions about the Broad-billed have been substantiated, and there are two. The one with a brownish back and poorly marked head, and the greyish one with a well marked head. Confirmed by photographs. There is now no interest in the odd wader due to an unfortunate mistake causing three rather good photos of a Red-n Stint to be mistakenly taken and posted as of the unknown (poss western) sandpiper. There is still one knot in complete breeding plumage and two sharpies present.
Cheers, Grahame
Wandoona

Postby Wandoona » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:35 pm

I saw the broad-billed sandpiper and red- necked stint at high tide yesterday morning 27 th Dec.
Michael Szabo

Postby Michael Szabo » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:41 am

Thanks for that update Grahame. It would be very interesting to see photos of the two Broad-billed Sandpipers. There are two subspecies of BBS, so there is the possibility that one of them could be the western subspecies rather than the eastern subspecies that is usually the one that reaches New Zealand.
'Birds New Zealand' Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Birdsnewzealand
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:01 am

They are not my photos, but I will see what I can do.
Grahame
Wandoona

Postby Wandoona » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:09 pm

I will post my photos when I get on internet again of the BBS and RN Stint. I didn’t find any “ other” bird.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”