*MEGA* Pallid Cuckoo, Golden Bay

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Davidthomas

Re: *MEGA* Pallid Cuckoo, Golden Bay

Postby Davidthomas » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:45 pm

Still there this evening in the rain. Made me sweat a bit by not showing up for a while. But after about half an hour it appeared in the usual spot on the a-frame. Interestingly it was getting a real telling off by the local song thrushes which were alarm calling and mobbing the heck out of it. Poor little guy.
CE4CE2C5-0DC5-44A6-8172-7E6F76AEE59F.jpeg
Obligatory terrible phone photo
CE4CE2C5-0DC5-44A6-8172-7E6F76AEE59F.jpeg (284.79 KiB) Viewed 1443 times
Michael Szabo

Postby Michael Szabo » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:47 am

Paul Godolphin also reports that: "... when the Swafford's neighbour from the opposite bank of the river saw the Palid Cuckoo at the village Hall, she recognised it as the bird that had spent the previous year on her property nearby, being prominent throughout last summer!"

Since the Pallid Cuckoo photographed recently is clearly a juvenile, I wonder if the bird seen last summer was the same bird. If so, I wonder where it fledged - over in Australia or here in NZ?
'Birds New Zealand' Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Birdsnewzealand
Ian Southey

Postby Ian Southey » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:32 pm

Just wondering if this bird is still around. It's been a while since it was reported but no one has mentioned dipping. I'm asking because I may be able to get there in a couple of days with a bit of creative scheduling.

Ian
wazzagonewild

Postby wazzagonewild » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:09 pm

I had a 15 minute look around 5 pm on the 23rd, but did not see the cuckoo on the A-frame or any of the trees I'd seen it in before. My search wasn't thorough as I was a bit pressed on time and the bird has been out of view for longer than 30+ minutes for observers before. Sorry for not more promising news.
Warwick

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”