Hunua Weka

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
maddie

Hunua Weka

Postby maddie » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:48 am

Hi all, just wondering if we could have any confirmation of Weka
Expanding its range to the area close to camp Adair.
I’m 99% certain I spotted one on the roadside (6/1/20)
as I was heading south.
Thanks in advance
M
bombaydave2

Re: Hunua Weka

Postby bombaydave2 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:43 pm

I spoke to a farmer that manages Tapapatanga farm he has seen Weka regularly last year, so not improbable that some have moved towards Hunua. There was a small population at Kawakawa/ Orere point. More likely a pheasant - young pheasants can look very weka like!
simon.fordham

Postby simon.fordham » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:14 pm

Sadly, Weka Watch, the group set up 12 years ago to protect the Kawakawa Bay weka, has made the decision to disband. The observable weka population is now down to just 3 lone males.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:33 am

Simon, any info on why the population has dwindled? It was an interesting situation, with lots of hazards for the birds. It's wouldn't be completely surprising if domestic predators and cars were too much for them, but of course there are also other reasons for the boom bust cycles they seem to go through, and climate change and weather extremes will probably exacerbate it.
simon.fordham

Postby simon.fordham » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:46 am

I am unsure, Neil. My information comes from an email to Weka Watch members. I would imagine that it is a mixture of factors, including those you suggest.

Cheers
Simon
Edwarg

Postby Edwarg » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:44 am

Hi guys

I THINK i have just seen a Weka with 2 chicks skuttle into the bush . I am on McNicol rd Clevedon

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”