A female Paradise shelduck in Australia...

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Clinton9

Postby Clinton9 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:33 am

Read this
https://ebird.org/media/catalog?taxonCo ... alia%20(AU)&regionCode=AU-VIC-WYN&q=duck%20sp.%20-%20Anatinae%20sp&fbclid=IwAR1vFNU9hVakzxDcb5x4QXd9AXoVy8Fwd7NOrhLISDjIDQvpgTOA3g_WR7Y
Jan

Re: A female Paradise shelduck in Australia...

Postby Jan » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:57 pm

Hi Clinton, this has been on the facebook page for New Zealand Birders I think. It is certainly a female parrie, nothing else it can be. Afraid your link doesn't work, there must be something missing from it?
Jake

Postby Jake » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:04 pm

I'm skeptical of it being a paradise duck (NZPD) at this stage... I think an unusually-coloured Australian shelduck. Happy to be corrected. The gray on the head doesn't look right imo, and the chestnut colour seems quite bright too, like that of ASD. Not too sure, but the bill looks a bit dainty for a NZSD too
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:37 pm

I believe the current consensus is hybrid bird. But everyone’s a bit confused. Female Cape Shelduck has been bandied about a bit too...
Jake

Postby Jake » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:27 pm

The consensus is highly unlikely. Yes, it looks like a CSD, but they're not present in Australian aviculture and don't make it there, ever. NZSD's are present in okay numbers in captivity in Australia, but they're expensive; a permit generally required to keep them; and they must be flight-restricted (as far as I know). I know of one record of a NZSD vagrant to Australia. This make me think that a CSD flying to Australia and hybridising with another virtually unknown bird is ridiculous. How often do Australian Shelducks hybridise with Parries in NZ?... like never... it's doubtful that it's an ASD x NZSD too... the most likely option is a colour mutation, which are somewhat rare, but far more believable, imo.

I know my ideas on this topic aren't aren't picking up much traction... they're not as exotic/sexy as rare hybrids... but I feel my arguments are sound
SomesBirder

Postby SomesBirder » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:16 am

I'm aware that this can't be what it is, but it reminds me of these orange-brown Laysan ducks/Laysan-mallard hybrids: https://www.gobirding.eu/Photos/LaysanDuckxMallard.php
phil hammond

Postby phil hammond » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:05 am

I was at Werribee a couple of days ago and saw the bird in question. I don't know what it is and nor do some experienced Aus birders that were also there. Also present were 25000 to 30000 cbsd - - - the sky and fields were full of clouds of them. So what's more likely, a very strange cbsd or a very strange Parry?
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:45 pm

Can someone pass on a working hyperlink?
David Riddell

Postby David Riddell » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:04 am

Pat Miller

Postby Pat Miller » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:01 am

Has anyone suggested a hybrid between Chestnut-breasted Shelduck and Radjah (aka Burdekin) Shelduck? At least they live in the same country (though range doesn't overlap usually) and the colouring is a combination of the two species.

Pat

Return to “General Birding Discussion”