MEGA - Buff Breasted Sandpiper Kaitorete Spit Tip

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
kelly111

Re: MEGA - Buff Breasted Sandpiper Kaitorete Spit Tip

Postby kelly111 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:37 pm

Adam C wrote:Great shots Kelly!
Thanks Adem.and yes the Bird moves rapidly all the time.so i was lucky to get what i did.
KEL_7559.jpg
KEL_7559.jpg (453.14 KiB) Viewed 2765 times
KEL_7391.jpg
KEL_7391.jpg (488.74 KiB) Viewed 2765 times
KEL_7381.jpg
KEL_7381.jpg (525.83 KiB) Viewed 2765 times
David Melville

Postby David Melville » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:08 am

The open wing shots very nicely show the extent of primary moult - I hope that someone will fill in an OSNZ/BIrdsNZ moult card! - it will be really useful if a time series of open wing photos can be obtained to allow the progression of moult to be recorded.
Ian Williams

Postby Ian Williams » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:48 pm

Bird seen this morning in perfect conditions out by the the lake shore on the western side of the area away from the breeding birds. Easily picked out in flight by the white wing flashes as it flew with a small flock of turnstone. Thanks for the excellent directions and sharing this find.
Observers: Ian Williams and Brian Darlow
fullsizeoutput_dd5.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_dd5.jpeg (669.76 KiB) Viewed 2706 times
Ian Williams

Postby Ian Williams » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:40 pm

Has anyone got any comments on the white upper wing patches at the base of the outer secondaries seen in Kelly's 3rd photo and really obvious in the field? None of the field guides suggest there is usually white on the upper wing.
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:36 pm

I suspect its because undergoing primary and secondary moult giving it the white wing flashes. It looks like it’s missing the vast majority of its secondary and primary coverts which is why we see the white at the bases of the primaries and secondaries.
wazzagonewild

Postby wazzagonewild » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:10 pm

Bird was seen at 9 am yesterday morning in the same place as the day before. What a real beauty it is!
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:44 am

Bird still present this morning when I took Jack down to see it. It took some finding though as it was roosting with Banded Dotts over the back and hunkered down in the grass. Think it probably took an hour to find but a big sigh of relief from yours truely as really wanted Jack to get onto this one. Big apologies to anyone else wanting to tag along and see this bird. It was a last minute decision last night when I I noticed the forecast was perfect this morning.

There are now sheep grazing through the entire area and its drying out pretty quick and I wouldn't be surprised if this bird moves soon but theres a good chance that it will end up in the Embankment road area which will make it easier to get onto.

Also watch out for goblins chucking sticky grenades! Both small and large! I took this photo of Jack after we'd removed most of them! Just spent about an hour pulling the smaller spikey biddies out of my socks!
Jack Biddy.jpg
Jack Biddy.jpg (669.01 KiB) Viewed 2478 times
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
gmckinlay

Postby gmckinlay » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:01 pm

Has anyone revisited and seen the buff-breasted sandpiper recently, or have any thoughts on whether it is likely to still be present?

I am in ChCh for most of the next couple of weeks and would very much like to see it if possible. Don't have access to a 4WD, so the ideal sceanrio would be to join up with anyone else driving out.

Alternatively, if the Ecan info is correct the lake is currently closed to the sea, so I figure a long walk from Taumutu should be possible, picking a cool calm morning ideally.

I would also be keen to see the little stint if anyone comes across it.

Glenn McKinlay
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:27 pm

Hi Glenn. Not sure if anybodies been out since our last outing but It would be 50/50 the bird is still present now but somebody needs to find out! You don't need a 4WD to get to the location. There are some soft shingle spots that do need driving around and there are clear tracks around them where others have avoided them but I understand your hesitation if you haven't been out there before. Has anybody been to Embankment lately? Been very quiet on here re Ellesmere of late. If Im heading out there over the next week or so I'll try and get in touch.

Adam
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
scaber

Postby scaber » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:05 am

It was good to see that this bird was still there yesterday (1st Jan 2020) when Adam Colley and I paid a visit. It was associating with a very large flock of Banded Dotterels which made it difficult to initially locate. The Dotterels were easily spooked so this made it difficult to get very close.

Buff-breasted Sandpiper 1.jpg
Buff-breasted Sandpiper 1.jpg (376.66 KiB) Viewed 2187 times

Buff-breasted Sandpiper 2.jpg
Buff-breasted Sandpiper 2.jpg (227.75 KiB) Viewed 2187 times
Greg Mckenzie

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”