Crane, Matukituki Valley, Wanaka

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Kiwiclimber

Crane, Matukituki Valley, Wanaka

Postby Kiwiclimber » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:47 am

Has anyone else observed a crane-like bird (brolga or sarus crane) in the Wanaka area? On 31 December (just before the smoke cloud from Australia arrived in the area) I was driving up the Matukituki between the Treble Cone turn-off and Cattle Flat and saw a large, mostly pale bird with long neck and long, narrow black and white wings flying high (100m?) above the valley. I'm resident in N Sweden, so see cranes (grus grus) often - looked like a crane (or stork) but nothing like anything I'd expect to see in NZ. Unfortunately I couldn't find a safe place to park and glass the bird before it was out of sight.
RussCannings

Re: Crane, Matukituki Valley, Wanaka

Postby RussCannings » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:55 am

Sounds intriguing for sure. Hopefully whatever it was is resighted in more fortuitous conditions.
Ian Southey

Postby Ian Southey » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:54 am

So Rick

Can you add anything to this? More words, a bad sketch? I think it sounds pretty intriguing too and I don't think much more needs to be known to identify it.

Ian
Pat Miller

Postby Pat Miller » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:48 am

White-faced heron ? Same colours as the cranes and often fly with neck outstretched and much the same shape in flight.
Pat
boneywhitefoot

Postby boneywhitefoot » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:59 am

Could be a young black swan.
they can appear grey with black and white wings
Kiwiclimber

Postby Kiwiclimber » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:13 pm

Considered heron, but this looked larger, and shags - perhaps a darter, but I assume they also fly with rapid wingbeats. Swan seems unlikely - again, different type of flight. Actually even more like a European stork than a crane, but crane seems most likely. /Rick McGregor

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”