Odd Behavior by Bar t Godwits

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Grahame

Odd Behavior by Bar t Godwits

Postby Grahame » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:19 pm

In front of the main hide at around high tide this morning, several Godwits started attacking a Knot which tried to flee and ended up swimming to get away from them. As it got near to the bank, it was walking, and at this point it was chased by a Pied Stilt. Never experienced this behavior before.
Cheers, Grahame & Paul
Finn Davey

Re: Odd Behavior by Bar t Godwits

Postby Finn Davey » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:22 am

Maybe they're starting to get a bit aggressive as they approach their breeding season. I'm not sure when they fly back to Alaska, but I'm sure it's coming up soon.
philbattley

Postby philbattley » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:34 pm

Seems unusual, but my guess is that there was something odd with the knot (and there have been sick birds in the Firth recently) and they were responding to that. I've never seen godwits obviously pick on knots in many hundreds of hours watching many thousands of birds over the years. And yes, migration should start in about a week or so in the North Island.
Cheers, Phil
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:32 am

Thank you Phil, like yourself, I have been birding since the late 50's, and never seen this before. Your reasoning may well have hit the nail. Just afterwards walking towards the stilt hide, another knot walked up the path in front of us, and when two people came towards us , walked into the undergrowth and onto the mad. We both thought at the time that it was sick.
Cheers, Grahame

Return to “General Birding Discussion”