Global eBird Big Day this Saturday!

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
RussCannings

Global eBird Big Day this Saturday!

Postby RussCannings » Thu May 07, 2020 8:34 am

Hi all,

As Level 3 (hopefully) draws to a close, I'm sure you are all excited about exploring natural areas beyond your neighbourhoods. What better way to get back into the swing of the NZ Bird Atlas than by participating the the Global 'Big Day' ( https://ebird.org/news/global-big-day-9-may-2020)

All around the world, birders will be submitting checklists on Saturday, May 9th. We will then be able to look at observer effort and species totals for the whole country as well as by region during this 24 period. Even more importantly, this can be a fun way to contribute to the atlas (Just make sure your app is set to the NZ Atlas filter!).

Whether you're simply in the garden, or itching to get down to your local wetlands or up to the bush reserves--let's see what we can find!

Obviously we want to do this responsibly, so please stick to your bubble and region, avoid contact points, and high-risk activities or long travel distances, etc.

For myself, I think I'll pray for minimal fog and aim to survey the Huntly lakes area.

Russ C
Waikato
simon.fordham

Re: Global eBird Big Day this Saturday!

Postby simon.fordham » Thu May 07, 2020 9:58 am

Good idea Russ but the problem is that we will still be under Level 3 restrictions. As I understand it, this means local travel, not regional.

Whilst there have been mixed messages out there about what one can and cannot do, the Covid 19 website (covid19.govt.nz) specifically states:

'You can do activities that are local, safe, and do not involve interaction with other people outside your bubble.'

In these unprecedented times, it has been good to see a high level of compliance by the birding community, most notably by the lack of reports from all over the place. Social media posts have also indicated a much higher level of backyard birding than would be normally expected. Some have chosen to make use of the time by sorting thru photos, scanning old slides etc.

Having seen these restrictions thru to the end, this gives us all the opportunity to get back to 'normality', sooner rather than later.

Cheers
Simon
Jim Kirker

Postby Jim Kirker » Thu May 07, 2020 6:37 pm

When does the 24 hours start in NZ given this is a global effort with different time zones ?
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Thu May 07, 2020 7:14 pm

Midnight Saturday morning to midnight Saturday night. I.e. the 9th of May
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Thu May 07, 2020 7:55 pm

Thanks for the comments Simon and Jim.

The 24 hours is the calendar day of May 9th so it is relative to each country.

Simon's correct that it will still be Level 3 so while government has used the words 'regional' and 'local ' it seems the idea is that you aren't traveling unnecessary distances for exercise etc. The gov website says you can go to your nearest beach but for me that's over an hour away so no surfing for me ;) Stay safe, have fun.

Steady bins,
Russ
simon.fordham

Postby simon.fordham » Thu May 07, 2020 8:08 pm

RussCannings wrote:The gov website says you can go to your nearest beach .......

Yes, Russ, even within the official website there are contradictory messages. I think I am more confused than ever!

Simon
Jan

Postby Jan » Fri May 08, 2020 8:20 am

Sticking to one's region is ok, I would have thought. Canterbury is the biggest region in the country, so maybe a stretch to go from Kaikoura to Waitaki via Arthur's pass, but the 'waikato', 'bay of plenty', 'South Auckland' would each be manageable? We should use our discretion, and I'm sticking close to home to find a Cirl Bunting. Where I live is one of their hotspots, if it's a reasonably hot day, they ought to be about.
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Fri May 08, 2020 8:30 am

Best of luck Jan.

I’m planning on doing a bit of a bicycle big day around Christchurch City. Aiming for about 40 species. I suspect I’ll end up biking more kms than I will see species but hey it’s good exercise right?!
Richard Schofield

Postby Richard Schofield » Fri May 08, 2020 12:35 pm

Biking's the way to go - I'll be doing a S Otago version. It's one way of ensuring I don't venture too far afield. I reckon 40 is about where the kms overtake the birds.
Jim Kirker

Postby Jim Kirker » Sun May 10, 2020 9:27 am

Gorgeous Autumn day in Auckland, trees coloring up in bright sunshine and a full moon early morning, nice southerly breeze and lots of people out enjoying it all. Big day contributors sampled all the diverse habitats hereabouts and found an amazing 56 species ! The Haast street Ruru was around before midnight and then did the "ru ru ru" call soon afterwards joined by a spur winged plover, which got things off to a great start. I struggled a bit with keeping it local, but decided to drive rather than walk and not venture west and the result was 42 on the list and some very happy memories. Spoonbills and shags in the same tree at Orakei basin and a flock of yellowhammers at Winifred's woodland ! Noel was at Waiatarua and pointed out a grey teal at the edge of open water with a fine pair of brown teal and shovellers. Then at dusk one of the Harriers glided past, elegant and mysterious. No rosellas for me though, and no spotless crake despite playbacks at various locations after dark. No daylight left to visit Maungakiekie for the game birds, instead an enticing hunt for pacific heron and NZ dotterel at Onehunga. A great day for sure and thanks to those who made it possible.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”