Tree Martin?

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Jan

Tree Martin?

Postby Jan » Tue May 12, 2020 8:41 am

This is a bit embarassing.....the other day i had a good view of a swallow with a white rump and made a mental note to look up whether welcome swallows have white rumps...... Now I see that it was most likely a Tree Martin, as it was definitely not a Fairy Martin [no rufous head], I can't remember the day or the site where I saw it...... It was most likely at Milns Park extension subdivision which is being constructed at present. This is on Milns Rd, Halswell, Christchuch. It was perhaps 10 days ago?
Jan

Re: Tree Martin?

Postby Jan » Tue May 12, 2020 8:51 am

Jan wrote:It was most likely at Milns Park extension subdivision which is being constructed at present. This is on Milns Rd, Halswell, Christchuch. It was perhaps 10 days ago?

I haven't been to that site since 27th April as construction started up again the next day, so it wasn't that site. It may have been Warren Park, in Hornby, where I always see Welcome Swallows in large numbers while dog-walking. Sorry to report this so badly, I am a bit disgusted with myself.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”