Birder coverage and second hand info

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
bombaydave2

Birder coverage and second hand info

Postby bombaydave2 » Thu May 14, 2020 2:29 pm

So, I always ask the local farmers, hunters and duck shooters if they see any unusual birds. often they have a little knowledge of birds other than the common species but these people are often in areas where birders and other people dont go. Birders only access/ observe a small percentage of whats out there and we need to networking.
The reason I am writing this, is that my new neighbor was brought up on a large(few hundred acres) farm in Pukekawa and I thought I would ask him abut Barn Owls. No Barn owls but he preceded to tell me there was a black kite on the property for a couple of years(8-9 years ago - prob the mercer bird). He also said there numerous bittern every winter in a 20 acre swamp in middle of farm, as well as Galah, Sulphur crested cockatoo and he also mentioned flocks of " small white heron like birds" which I am presuming were cattle egret.
Without that conversation we would have no idea these birds were there as it is a large private property.
Grahame

Re: Birder coverage and second hand info

Postby Grahame » Thu May 14, 2020 2:59 pm

Thanks very much for that Dave, and good thinking about the source.
Grahame

Return to “General Birding Discussion”