NZ Dabchicks at Pegasus wetland.

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
kelly111

Re: NZ Dabchicks at Pegasus wetland.

Postby kelly111 » Sun May 24, 2020 1:52 pm

Just got to see the Dabchick so that was good and one more off the list. Will put some photos up when home.
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Sun May 24, 2020 2:34 pm

Nice to see you out there Kelly! Sorry I had to rush off! was running late!

Some more shots of the lighter bird attached. I thiiiiiink I'm still in the Immature Dabchick camp but the bill is very pale. Anyone else weighing in on it being a Non-breeding Hoary?
Pale Dab 1f.jpg
Pale Dab 1f.jpg (595.92 KiB) Viewed 1443 times
Pale dab 2f.jpg
Pale dab 2f.jpg (694.38 KiB) Viewed 1443 times
Pale Dab 3f.jpg
Pale Dab 3f.jpg (553.4 KiB) Viewed 1443 times
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
kelly111

Postby kelly111 » Sun May 24, 2020 2:45 pm

Adam C wrote:Nice to see you out there Kelly! Sorry I had to rush off! was running late!

Some more shots of the lighter bird attached. I thiiiiiink I'm still in the Immature Dabchick camp but the bill is very pale. Anyone else weighing in on it being a Non-breeding Hoary?
yes good to see you out there.so you think this is a immature one.is the 2nd one that has been seen the same as this or is different.
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Sun May 24, 2020 3:08 pm

It's a classic adult which was absent today but there on my first visit when we saw the Bittern.

The above bird is most likely an Immature NZ Dabchick or less likely a Nonbreeding hoary headed Grebe as floated by Jan earlier in this thread but I'm sure somebody else on here will have more idea than I do.

Photos below of the darker adult NZ Dabchick from first visit.
Dabchick 2f.jpg
Dabchick 2f.jpg (371.35 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
Dabchick 1f.jpg
Dabchick 1f.jpg (405.92 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
Dabchick 3 f.jpg
Dabchick 3 f.jpg (429.34 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
AlanShaw

Postby AlanShaw » Sun May 24, 2020 4:30 pm

I would say the first bird is certainly not a Hoary-headed by the rufous breast (pale in both seasons for Hoary-headed) and the lack of a white tip to the bill. My view is that it's either an aberrant NZ Dabchick or a hybrid.
kelly111

Postby kelly111 » Sun May 24, 2020 7:30 pm

Adam C wrote:It's a classic adult which was absent today but there on my first visit when we saw the Bittern.

The above bird is most likely an Immature NZ Dabchick or less likely a Nonbreeding hoary headed Grebe as floated by Jan earlier in this thread but I'm sure somebody else on here will have more idea than I do.

Photos below of the darker adult NZ Dabchick from first visit.
Nice photos m8. What set up are you using.
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Sun May 24, 2020 10:58 pm

Just a scuzzy old Nikon P1000 but does 90% of what I need for record shots. Thanks Kelly. Yr shots will have way better resolution viewed large!

Samuel Ullman
Jan

Postby Jan » Mon May 25, 2020 11:07 am

I did think this bird was different, and the upright long neck seemed more hoary-headed than Dabchick. I asked Paul Sco and he had thought it might be a hybrid bird and had spent a lot of time looking at it. He suggests we keep an eye on it to see how it develops. Imm HHG don't have white-tipped beaks but I admit it has much more rufous in the breast than HHG. The main thing is whether Dabchick are breeding there, I think, which would be exciting, not fussing over the exact parentage of one many photographed bird.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”