Discussion and plight of NZs subspecies

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Jan

Re: Discussion and plight of NZs subspecies

Postby Jan » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:46 pm

Mammals have changed in some places they were introduced; the mice on Gough Is that prey on Albatross chicks have become much larger. Introduced bird species display different clutch sizes in NZ compared to UK and Skylarks have been studied a lot in the 2 countries, but not sure what the conclusions were. These things should be easy to find in google.
fras444

Postby fras444 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:28 am

Finn Davey wrote:Very interesting topic that I'll sure to be involved in.
Just want to point out a few small things first.

Black-backed Gull subspecies in NZ are not endemic, Tasmania has the same subspecies as us.
I'm a bit confused with the fantail one? Are you suggesting that NZ Fantail is a subspecies of the Grey Fantail in Australia? Because they are certainly separate species with NZ fantail having it's own few subspecies within various NZ islands.

Looking forward to discussions. :)

Interesting about this one. Thanks Finn.
So the Black-backed gulls in NZ are part of the subspecies found on Tasmania, interesting for what would be quite a mobile species, that there is a subspecies on Tasmania, which would be a stones throw "as far as a gull flies" from mainland Australia. Wonder what overlap there is between the 5 odd subspecies of Black-backed gulls
fras444

Postby fras444 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:33 am

So I'm guessing we can relegate the Black-backed gull to a native species as such. What information do you guys have on the other subspecies listed and where do they fit on your personal understanding/interpretations regarding listing/ticking them as separate species...

The shags, what are your guys thoughts on the Little,Black and Pied shags.... Or the Morepork.... Endemic or not

Return to “General Birding Discussion”