Bay of Plenty Kaka

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Tim Barnard

Re: Bay of Plenty Kaka

Postby Tim Barnard » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:55 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about boundaries ... in Birds NZ world its the BoP/Volcanic Plateau region so that about wraps it up. Taupo is in.
All the best
Tim
fras444

Postby fras444 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:31 pm

Thanks for that.
Slightly off topic but kinda on topic in the birding world, but... totally think that Rotorua and Taupo are more related in a geographical and flora/fauna contex than Rotorua and Taupo is to the Waikato/BOP region wise only really linked in by their rivers (Kaituna/Waikato). Both are effectively plateau/volcanic/lake areas.. Taupo transitionals into the alpine where as Rotorua transitionals into the lowland ocean. I often think of the two as twin sisters as they are both very similar
Susie

Postby Susie » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:22 pm

We are sitting here listening to the Kaka flying in all 14 of them screeching whistling and having fun. Stripped bark on Japanese Cedars for insects, some trees ringbarked. It’s usual for this time of year at Whakamarama there are lots on Tahua also.
Suzi

Postby Suzi » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:53 am

Susie wrote:We are sitting here listening to the Kaka flying in all 14 of them screeching whistling and having fun. Stripped bark on Japanese Cedars for insects, some trees ringbarked. It’s usual for this time of year at Whakamarama there are lots on Tahua also.

Aongatete - lately regular sightings from end of Lund Road - is another hot spot for Kaka in the northern BOP.
KaraGod

Postby KaraGod » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:08 pm

My brother has seen 2 just north east of taupo

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”