Marsh Crake in Tauranga

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Raewyn

Re: Marsh Crake in Tauranga

Postby Raewyn » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:38 pm

I went there on June 13, mid to late afternoon, outgoing tide. I had a good viewing of a marsh crake feeding under and adjacent to the boardwalk from Paul's original location through to the next lot of rushes. It was moving back and forth along the boardwalk line. When startled it went for cover, then came back a minute or so later. Mostly it ignored whatever was happening on the boardwalk. Light was pretty dim so my photos are very noisy, but are clearly a different bird from the one Mike has showed us above.

I've put together a composite of 4 views of the bird I saw, chosen for the fact that they show its markings. It occurred to me that comparing photos might help to work out how many individual birds there are. Mike and Oscar (and anyone else), do you have other photos that show the markings and can help to identify individuals? We know there are at least two. Are there more?

composite-91-96-103-110.jpg
composite-91-96-103-110.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 1451 times
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:56 pm

A hard call Raewyn but I'd say mine has a darker bill and faint brown patch behind the eye, which I don't see on your bird. I just have photos from the right side but I'd say it looks like Mike's photographed bird, it was two individuals he saw. A pair perhaps?
MarshCrake.Adult2.OscarThomas.jpg
MarshCrake.Adult2.OscarThomas.jpg (376.31 KiB) Viewed 1440 times
MarshCrake.Adult.OscarThomas.jpg
MarshCrake.Adult.OscarThomas.jpg (351.32 KiB) Viewed 1440 times
Mike Vincent

Postby Mike Vincent » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:28 pm

There is more than one Marsh Crake I saw two chasing each other around but too far away for a photo. A while later I took the shot below whilst Bartek was watching another bird about 4m away.
Marsh Crake 2.jpg
Marsh Crake 2.jpg (547.17 KiB) Viewed 1356 times
Tim Barnard

Postby Tim Barnard » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:28 pm

Dropped by today and its still there. A second bird calling quite close to the car park about 10m south.
Cheers
Tim

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”