Carolina Wood Duck, Martyn Field Reserve

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Liam Ballard

Carolina Wood Duck, Martyn Field Reserve

Postby Liam Ballard » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:07 pm

Went to check out the bird that Phil Hammond reported a few days ago, thought I'd post it up here for people's interest.
One male Carolina Wood Duck at Martyn Field Reserve in Auckland, hanging out with 60ish mallards and a female Muscovy. I'm sure he is as escapee as they come, although it is fun to imagine such a tiny bird battling across the Pacific! No bands seen, also the wings weren't clipped as far as I could see when he flew.
Has anyone got any ideas as to where it might be from? If there is a local bird park I imagine they might want it back. It's utterly catchable if you had some food and a few good runners. Anyway, a fun little pseudo-twitch for my girlfriend and I.

Also, does anyone know if eBird has considered adding an option to report probable escapees/'untickable' birds? I suppose the record is valuable but don't really want that on my eBird list. I was able to report the Muscovy as 'domestic type' but no such option existed for this one.

All the best,
IMG_20200626_215939.jpg
IMG_20200626_215939.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 1493 times
Liam Ballard
Grahame

Re: Carolina Wood Duck, Martyn Field Reserve

Postby Grahame » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:10 am

I live in Ngatea, and until this year have frequently seen Carolina Wood Duck drakes around the village, and assumed that they came from the Ngatea Water Gardens. Last year I saw the first female with a drake and was expecting breeding, but it didn't happen. It has now been about six months since I saw one at all. Perhaps the Hamilton and Auckland birds have come from here. The water gardens did confirm three years ago that they had drakes.
Cheers, Grahame
bombaydave2

Postby bombaydave2 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:38 am

A friend has told mine there are a lot on the piako river.
rukuhia

Postby rukuhia » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:24 pm

There is also a breeder south of Hamilton who lets many ducks fly freely on his ponds.
Bob Rigter

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”