Greenshank Riverton estuary today

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
sjacques

Greenshank Riverton estuary today

Postby sjacques » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:13 pm

I know there was a previous thread about this bird but I can't find it. Paul and I went to Riverton estuary today to look for the Kaki. No success there but did see a greenshank, as follows;

Watching from the South side of the estuary bird first detected at considerable distance at North end of area; a pale wader associating with a couple of pied stilts. Size and general impression didn't match any of the usual suspects. At close to full tide (1640ish) eventually flew closer, joining a larger group of stilts on E side. Better views but still distant; narrowed down at this stage to either greenshank or marsh sand. May have been on its way to joining the main wader roost in the SE corner of the estuary, but shortly after landing was flushed by a dog, aaargh! Flew directly towards us, down to approx 25m range, giving distinctive chu-chu-chu call, then veered NW and towered quite high until lost to view out over the main body of the estuary.

I know there will be a few people interested in having a look for this bird. I will try to post a crude map of the areas where we saw it.

Cheers, Sean
sjacques

Re: Greenshank Riverton estuary today

Postby sjacques » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:39 pm

20200627_223641.jpg
20200627_223641.jpg (249.8 KiB) Viewed 1882 times
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:40 pm

Great news and nice spotting!
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:21 pm

Distant but diagnostic scope views of a Common Greenshank from Riverton Cemetery by Fraser Gurney and myself this morning (bird was alive despite the location). It was feeding in the northwest arm, the white back was clearly seen and it appeared smaller and paler than nearby stilts. No sign at high tide.
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:38 pm

Wahoo! Well done guys.
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”