Arctic Tern, Karioitahi Beach

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Oscar Thomas

Arctic Tern, Karioitahi Beach

Postby Oscar Thomas » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:16 pm

Sharing on behalf of Paul G:
“Arctic Tern in flock of c260+ White Fronts @ Karioitahi beach this morning (24/7/22). Constantly flushed by scrambles motorcycles charging into the flock and dogs chasing them. Location on the tideline directly in ftont of main car park.
560 White Fronts there today (25/07/22), in four sub-flocks across a few hundred metres of tideline, still being harassed. No scrambles bikes or dogs today, just an old lady with her phone camera walking into the middle of them until every bird was aloft and screaming.
I assume that the Arctic was still amongst them but they weren't allowed to settle long enough to check.
Worth a visit, though. Biggest flock I've seen there in 16 years.”
Ian McLean

Re: Arctic Tern, Karioitahi Beach

Postby Ian McLean » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:46 pm

Hello Oscar
Myself & Trina were there at 3pm today & counted 700 white-fronted terns in one large flock. No smaller terns were amongst them, but there were 13 red-billed gulls & 1 Caspian Tern amongst them. The disturbance you mention sounds terrible, but there was only a few fishermen present & they seemed respectful of the birds whilst we were there. There were a few terns foraging further out & perhaps the Arctic was with them or has moved along. Definitely a bird to look out for if you live locally.
Cheers Ian
Last edited by Ian McLean on Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Szabo

Re: Arctic Tern, Karioitahi Beach

Postby Michael Szabo » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:33 am

The Arctic Tern I found at Waikanae on 28th April was only ashore briefly with the White-fronted Tern flock there, so it's probably worth keeping an eye out for it among terns that fly in off the sea to join the flock and rest. It may only stay ashore for a brief time.
'New Zealand Birders' Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/857726274293085

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”