Sulphur-crested cockatoo Upper Hutt

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
boneywhitefoot

Re: Sulphur-crested cockatoo Upper Hutt

Postby boneywhitefoot » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:52 am

exactly I was asked to post it here just for peoples interest
Jan

Postby Jan » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:55 pm

Sorry, I was only replying to the msg Imogen sent. Anything is reportable on the birdforum, surely?

There is no need to perpetuate the 'we hate OSNZ' message, is there? I understand a number of people have had issues with OSNZ in the past, but the society is much better in its appeal to anyone nowadays.

Sav's post that OSNZ never told people where rare birds are is an example of this silly perpetuation. OSNZ didn't have the ability to tell people back then; unless you were in the same district as a rare bird, you were unlikely to hear about it. Now there is a plethora of social media methods, anyone can get to hear about them. It is good that Brent started Birding-NZ and Neil refined it to the excellent forum we have now. However I would encourage everyone to have a look at the link I was talking about; you will probably find there are loads of birds you have seen in places you would never have thought they were rare in. And you don't need to join OSNZ to report rare birds or to contribute to birding in general in NZ, but we would like you to, nevertheless.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:37 pm

I don't think anyone was berating OSNZ. I'm sure Sav meant as you yourself noted, that it was technically more difficult to spread info in the past. I also encourage people to file UBRs for the 'reportable' birds. That's why I have links to the list and form on our links page here. I like to think BirdingNZ is a good way of sorting wheat from the chaff. All sightings welcome.
Liam Ballard

Postby Liam Ballard » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:49 pm

I reaĺly just had one of those moments when I thought "either I'm really lucky and cockatoo are rare, or this is just an interesting post" Sorry, I didn't mean to belittle your sighting or anything.
Liam Ballard
boneywhitefoot

Postby boneywhitefoot » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:55 am

no worries
Joanna10

Postby Joanna10 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:09 pm

There is a resident flock living in the valley over the Admiral Hill Rd (east of Carterton, Wairarapa). They have been there several years apparently and sighted resonably often.
TheBirderman

Postby TheBirderman » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:32 pm

I know there are some near the Hunua Ranges near Auckland.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”