Tattler sp. at Miranda

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
jameswickham

Tattler sp. at Miranda

Postby jameswickham » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:58 pm

A species of tattler was observed at the Stilt Pond today. Just after high tide (3.3metres at 14:50).

It was standing on the flats just north of the hide, in a flock of knots, Wrybill and Double-banded Plover.

The long, straight bill and yellow legs/feet were obvious.

Any thoughts on Wandering vs Grey-tailed? Apologies for the image quality - very hot out there.
Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 6.47.02 PM.png
Tattler sp.
Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 6.47.02 PM.png (635.09 KiB) Viewed 559 times
RussCannings

Re: Tattler sp. at Miranda

Postby RussCannings » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:28 pm

Generally pale lores and throat give me a Grey-tailed (Siberian) vibe.

Any side on shots showing primary projection?

Great find!

Russ C
Morrinsville, NZ
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:11 pm

Tattler was present again this evening in front of the stilt pool hide. It was sleeping the whole time I was viewing it but looks good for Grey-tailed (Thanks to Wrybill Brent for the text on its location among the mass of wrybill). Also a Curlew Sand and 130+ bandies along with 51 golden plover and several hundred knot.
Brent Stephenson

Postby Brent Stephenson » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:48 pm

All good Russ! Good to see you across the pond. I feel grey-tailed as well. We did have two sharpies after you left - no sign of the broad-billed sand though. Following morning (16 Feb) no sign of the tattler, but had four sharpies and the curlew sand feeding on the stilt pond.

Cheers,
Brent Stephenson
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ - Great birds, real birders
TomWells

Postby TomWells » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:19 pm

Grey-tailed Tattler (going on plumage and nasal groove), Broad-billed Sandpiper, 2 Sharp-tailed and 1 Pectoral Sandpiper all present on the Stilt Pond at high tide this morning.
phil hammond

Postby phil hammond » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:10 pm

I agree with Russ and Tom, I was close to it today and it is a Grey-tailed----very little grey wash on the flanks, overall too pale to be a Wandering, supercilium behind eye, and size is right for Grey-tailed.

Today, through high tide, it along with RN Stint, Pec sand, 4 Sharpies, 7 or 8 PGP, and hundreds of Wrybill and Knots were packed together very close to the road in a small pond north of the Stilt Pond that normally only holds Stilts

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”