Kaikoura storm-chasing sea-watch

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
andrewcrossland

Kaikoura storm-chasing sea-watch

Postby andrewcrossland » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:16 pm

Hi folks, Phil Crutchley, Antony Shadbolt and I went up to Kaikoura yesterday to try some sea-watching from the end of the peninsula reefs. We went to South Bay and walked out to the south-easterno-most point. 28oC, no wind and mirror-calm seas when we started, but on the horizon a line of low cloud, marking an approaching southerly front was evident. We set up scopes at the end of the reef and could see the wind-whipped line of waves getting nearer and nearer as the front approached. All the way along its edge we could see scores of albatross, giant petrels, smaller petrels, shearwaters, terns, gannets, etc. Then, bang! the wind and waves hit, and we had sea birds right in close! magic

kaikoura1.JPG
kaikoura1.JPG (59.82 KiB) Viewed 1471 times

Kaikoura5.JPG
Kaikoura5.JPG (84.87 KiB) Viewed 1471 times

(front approaching)

seabird species list;
Huttons Shearwater
Bullers Shearwater
Fluttering Shearwater (several)
Sooty Shearwaerwater
Westland/W-chinned Petrel
Grey-faced Petrel
Northern Royal Albatross
Southern Royal Alb
Salvins Alb
White-capped Alb
Northern Giant Petrel
Pomarine Skua (1)
Arctic Skua
Aust Gannet

around the rocks we only found 3 Turnstone and no Tattlers, but many Banded Dotts and 3 Reef Heron

kaikoura2.JPG
kaikoura2.JPG (66.93 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
andrewcrossland

Re: Kaikoura storm-chasing sea-watch

Postby andrewcrossland » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:47 pm

Map showing the sea watch location (yellow)

kaikoura6.JPG
kaikoura6.JPG (70.04 KiB) Viewed 1437 times
Adam C

Re: Kaikoura storm-chasing sea-watch

Postby Adam C » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:35 pm

Nice Andrew.

I clearly remember staying at South bay once in similar circumstances. Birding at its best! I need to skill up on my sea birds though. Im average at best. The next big thing after my obsession with shorebirds I guess!
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”