Cuckoos and waders in Christchurch

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
samuelbloch

Cuckoos and waders in Christchurch

Postby samuelbloch » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:24 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Samuel, I'm a birder and photographer from France spending a year in New Zealand.
I'm currently living in Dunedin, but I'm planning a weekend trip to Christchurch next weekend (March 9-10), and I'm looking for tips, and maybe company ;)
There are two things I'm very interested in: seeing a Shining cuckoo, and seeing "small" Arctic waders like Golden plovers, sandpipers and stints. Of course I'd love to take pictures of these birds as well!

Would you have tips for this around Christchurch? I've heard about Jarvis road and Embarkment road around Lake Ellesmere, are these good places at the moment for waders?
Would you like to join me on a birding/bird photography tour on Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning?

Bonus question: do you know if the little black Fantails are still around Lincoln (?) University.

Thanks,
Samuel
Olwen

Re: Cuckoos and waders in Christchurch

Postby Olwen » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:00 pm

I'm surprised there's been no answers to this enquiry, maybe you'd be better to put it on New Zealand Birders facebook page?
Davidthomas

Re: Cuckoos and waders in Christchurch

Postby Davidthomas » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:11 pm

Oh bother! I totally forgot to reply. My apologies Samuel.

I haven’t come across any shining cuckoos for quite a while I’m afraid. I suspect they’ve headed off to warmer climes already. Early March is generally a bit late for them to still be about. Your best bet would be come September/October when they return.

Regarding the peeps. They had been pretty reliable on Lake Ellesmere in pools at the end of Embankment Road, and also Wolfe’s Road. There had been up to six pectoral sandpipers, one sharptailed sandpiper and a Curlew sandpiper about. With occasionally turnstones and a few good looking stints amongst the banded Dotterel s and other waders. I suggest you try there and if that fails head to the Ashley Estuary where there is a Sanderling who can be quite confiding if you get lucky and he’s on your side of the Estuary.

Hope this isn’t too late sorry again.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”