Stoats in chch city.

Discuss natural history subjects not strictly related to birds. Reports of interesting mammal, reptile, and invertebrate sightings are welcome.
chris

Stoats in chch city.

Postby chris » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:18 pm

I just saw a stoat cross the road near the ferry road bridge just above the yacht club. On the road heading up hill. Very heavy traffic below heading both ways from McCormick's bay . The 2nd one I've seen in my suburb. Very disappointing. I did notice tho that this one had a very lite brown coat. Is this because it's a cub or perhaps just a dry zone Canterbury thing.
andrewcrossland

Re: Stoats in chch city.

Postby andrewcrossland » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:56 am

Weasels are a lot more abundant than stoats in the CHCH area and over the last decade we've caught no stoats, but 2 or 3 weasels at nearby Charlesworth Reserve. I wonder if this was what you saw?
chris

Re: Stoats in chch city.

Postby chris » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:26 pm

Yeah that's an animal I didn't consider. It seemed a bit shaggy for a stoat as well. But the first one was definitely a stoat. I watched it for quite a few minutes as I sat outside the door as it hunted fastidiously around my letter box in and out of the vegetation covering my retaining wall. I set a trap with no result.

Return to “Other Natural History”